Wacom Tablet Size

I am looking into purchasing a Wacom Intous3 Tablet in the next few weeks. I am wondering what would be the best size to get based on current owners suggestions. I have narrowed my search to either the 6x8, 6x11, or 9x12. I used a 6x8 at a previous job and was comfortable with it. I am wondering if going to a larger size is worth the cost (pros and cons of the larger size). I work on a 24" lcd monitor at home and dual 24" monitors at work. I will mainly be using the tablet for photoshop and learning zbrush.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have a 9x12 and I wouldn't consider using a smaller tablet, but that's my personal opinion. One thing to consider is that with a larger tablet, your pen strokes are closer to 1:1 with the screen, so a 5cm pen movement will be close to a 5cm cursor movement on-screen. The 12x19 would be even better considering you use a dual 24" monitor setup although pricing may be a bit steep.

Thanks for the response. The 12x19 is a little out of my price range since this is a personal purchase not a business one. You have a good point about the stoke. Does it feel pretty natural overall to have a stroke length comparable to your monitor?

Personal preference.

Exactly. Some people are happy drawing on a postage stamp, others feel cramped on anything smaller than A1. If you draw from the wrist, elbow or shoulder then consider the larger tablets. If you draw from the hand or fingers, the smaller tablets will suit you better.

If you draw from the wrist, elbow or shoulder then consider the larger tablets. If you draw from the hand or fingers, the smaller tablets will suit you better.

I think this is probably the best suggestion on how to decide. Thank you both very much.

Hi Everyone

Im a newbie on the board .

Regarding the wacom tablet this is my 2 cents.

I you can afford a cintiq 12 wx ( £900, $1500) go 4 it.u can easily sketch on the screen and save urself lots of time .I was quite good in handsketching but it took me some time to master my strokes on my intuos.

goodluck

i have a 6 x 8 wacom intuos 3 tablet, and this size works great for me, i think is a mix between a big size (and hard to carry on) and a small size (and hard to be precise), also maching exactly my laptop size (15.4 screen), great to carry on into a laptop bag (with the laptop in too)....

if you have a laptop consider the size, for a 17 inches you can purchase a bigger tablet

i have a 6 x 8 wacom intuos 3 tablet, and this size works great for me, i think is a mix between a big size (and hard to carry on) and a small size (and hard to be precise), also maching exactly my laptop size (15.4 screen), great to carry on into a laptop bag (with the laptop in too)....

if you have a laptop consider the size, for a 17 inches you can purchase a bigger tablet

QFA. You can't go wrong with the Intuous3 6x8 tablet. I currently own one; it is the best of both worlds. It is big enough to feel comfortable drawing with it and compact enough to carry it with you anywhere you go; it will fit in your laptop carrying case. I had an Intous2 9x12 before and I have to say that I did not miss the size at all when I downgraded to the 6x8 size tablet. Keep in mind that you will be placing the tablet right in front of your monitor. You will still need to have some space for your keyboard and other gadgets. Also, it is not the best tablet to have resting on your lap unless you are planning to be at least 3 to 4 feet away from you monitor. I hope it helps.

-E

Edited by CHE

At My work I always draw wit a small tablet a6 size and it works ok for me. But I myself prefere to use the bigger tablet I find it easer to add detail with those. I have the intuos 3 A4 ( 9x12 I think ) and a cintiq 12wx at home for personal use. If you don't want to pay to much just get a small tablet, it will do the job. If money isn't to big of a problem get a cintiq, they are awesome for drawing.