Revit Arch to Max 2009 - Workflow Question

danb4026

I am a Max user, typically importing CAD linework into max and then performing my modeling. I am now just getting familiar with Revit Architecture and toying with the idea of doing some of my more precise modeling in Revit to import into Max. My thought is that Revit might be a good source it import walls, windows, doors, stairways, moldings etc, into max.

Does anyone here use Revit as a start to their workflow and then move into Max?

If so, what are the more useful tools in Revit and what should I focus on prior to moving into max? If I am going to start using Revit, I do not want to waste time learning functions that do not apply to my Arch Visualization needs and focus on the "bottom line".

Hi!

I use Revit to start many of my projects, and then bring it into Max. I've tried a number of things over the years to help speed up the process, and I am most happy with Revit.

I find that the more I understand Revit, the more I do in Revit. It is a very powerful tool and can automate a lot of your workflow. As with most learning curves, it may feel like you could just do it faster in max and that may be true for a while.

Learning to create your own custom walls, stacked walls, curtain walls, doors, windows, host sweeps/reveals, roofs, stairs, railings, and so on. Anything on the Model tab, and Levels and Dimensions in Drafting, and Sections in View. You'll not need to worry about and schedules and sheets. You'll need to understand how to create and customize Families of objects, and editing Element Properties.

I still use the DWG export and File Linking, however you may want to look at the new FBX features. It is not as convenient if you are still making lots of changes to the model, but it does bring in the ProMaterials nicely. You can do a lot more in Revit and have it be render-ready in max this way. I still prefer to do materials in Max, but as more functionality is added to the FBX transfer, and a FileLinking version of that, then I might do materials in Revit.

Getting a good book, perhaps Paul F. Aubin, and skim through to find the features that interest and apply to you.

Have fun!

Thanks for the input Jenniifer! I would like to get into Revit a bit more when I have the time. I subscribed to an online tutorial site to get my feet wet but it spends alot of time on things other than modelling.

I was going to sign up for a class at Pratt, but the next classes dont start till the spring. So I guess I will save the money and try and do it myself.

Thanks!

My pleasure. There is a lot to get your head around if you want to be proficient at Revit (understanding Families and customization), but I dove in and did what I could after reading and playing a bit. In each project since then I've learned more, and have been able to do more, of the modeling within Revit.

Having parametric rather than static models saves a lot of time, particularly when revisions are expected.