Problems importing Autocad Architecture drawings into Max

dande

Hi

I have modelled a building in AutoCAD Architecture (See image ACA.jpg). If I file link the model or import it into MAX my railings and window frames don't import correctly. See the attached Max.jpg

I've never had this problem before and I have no idea what's causing it. Does anybody have any idea.

If I export from ACA to AutoCAD and then do an import or File Link the model comes in fine.

But that causes other problems

Thanks

Haven't used ADT or AA as it is called now since 3.3, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Have you set up your assemblies so that they are by layer per element and not a block? Where you in a 3d view when you exploded architectural elements and blocks and then exported or saved out? If the building is big did you try saving out multiple files with different items like interior walls and doors, etc. in one and exterior for another or maybe even seperating the shell into walls, roof, windows and doors for example? Last but not least take a look at DXF and 3DS if necessary. 3DS has poly count limits so if you have a lot of say windows and mullions you may run into problems.

Of course the newer versions may have taken care of it all in an automated process, but in the old days there were some tricks to getting out a decent 3D Model.

Dande,

Are the elements modelled as 'windows', 'doors' etc, or are they mass elements/3D solids/3D faces? Have you checked that the units in ACA are the same as the ones in the file link manager? I do a lot of importing from ACA, and I've never seen that, so let us know if you find the cause of the problems.

Carl

1. Run a full PURGE (3 times) of the Autocad file.

2. RECOVER the file in autocad.

Relink the file. If that works great. If not:

1. Perform a WBLOCK of only the geometry around the problem.

2. Link/Import it into a NEW 3DSMAX file.

See if that works. If it does, great! If not, I don't know.

Hope that helps.

I know this does not help much due to the cost of upgrades but I had exactly the same problem and it varies depending on the CAD file size and level of detail.

We have recently upgraded to 3dsmax v9 and the problem has completely gone.

I have not found any articles anywhere about this fix, nevertheless it is fixed.

The imports are now so clean and stable you can stay in AutoCAD much longer to get that extra detail done quickly and to scale.

• 3 weeks later...