Mocap converter

Koper

erm not too sure about the converter, but there may be a workaround (all be it a long winded one) and forgive me if i'm wrong i did a mocap project at uni and it was well over a year ago so my memory is a bit groggy, but . . .

could you not download the Motionbuilder PLE, import the .amc data into there onto a character/actor, then from there i think you can export the character animation as bvh data back into 'character studio' in max.

now the process i am groggy on is the mapping of the .amc data in motionbuilder, but if i remember rightly, i think you also need an .asf file with it???? I know that one of the files should be the t-pose and the other should contain the animation.

this may be a little more complicated than i first thought. hmmmmm let me check my notes if i still have them :)

yes motionbuilder is its own application, but works hand in hand with max.

its really easy to pick up but you find that alot of the free files on the internet (mocap files) are faulty, or should i say not cleaned. I did a full semester on mocap at uni so if you need to know anything just give me a shout.

you can download a PLE version from the autodesk website to get you going.

its really quite a simple process to get animation onto a character using motionbuilder and quite satisfying once you have a little sequence aswel.

its much better than using bipeds in max (much easier and more intuative)

there are loads of good websites though for free bvh files if you don't want to use motionbuilder and also max ships with a few bvh source files for you to play with and they are really easy to apply to a biped/character inside of max.

like i say any more info just give me a shout

this link was a life saver during my mocap project :)

http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/search.php?subjectnumber=%&motion=%

one more thing, if you do use motionbuilder, the only annoying bit is renaming all of the bones of the skeleton because, weirdly, it is different from biped, doesn't take long and you only have to do it once then you can save your naming structure.

the link i have given you there isn't of any use tho really without motionbuilder as there are no bvh files on it so can't be used directly with MAx biped

thanx Dave. Yup, i want to use the biped mixer to build up a mix that is realy easy once you get the hang of it.

unfortunately the mocap.cs site don't have any bvh files (not that i could find) and it was one their amc files that i converted. bummer, some of those files realy looked great

that mini tutorial is a cracking little tip, works great, i just tried it with one of the martial arts files from that animazoo website.

just tried it on a biped tho and it looked pretty clean, no shakes or judders (which is where motionbuilder comes in handy :) much easier to edit out shudders in the data)

i aint giving up on motionbuilder lol