Real time visualization walkthru

jucaro

Hi guys.

In the coming months, the company that I am working for will be embarking on a new project. This project will be for a Real Estate developer client and what they want us to do is to make ineractive architectural presentations wherein the client's prospective customer will be able to walk inside the house interactively.

My first option is to use the UNREAL 3D engine to make our presentations and in a way saving our investment in 3DSMAX sInce we intend to bake the textures onto the low poly 3D models of the houses.

I havent really tried using the unreal engine except for playing games.

Now, I'd like to ask you guys for input whether using the unreal engine has any real potential in doing realtime architecture presentation work. Maybe you guys can suggest other 3D engines which is best suited for this task.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried turntool. Its quick to deploy and has a fast viewer. unfortunately eek2.gif the price is just a killer! Best I can do is add the turnkey license to the client's bill, but it'll boost current price estimates.

This project is for 3 months starting May.

All I need is a decent enough (performance and price wise) realtime renderering engine.

The resulting interactive walkthru will be distributed to interested parties on the product launching, and another will be installed in an interactive kiosk for the booth in the Malls.

The following are some of the software requirements:

-must have collision detection

-directX compliant (not a must but would be an advantage)

-runs directly from the CDROM (but if this can not be avoided, installing a viewer is still an option)

Try VRML 97 (virtual reality modeling language).

Almost ALL CG package support this format one way or another,(MAX, MAYA, Rhino, Lightwave, trueSpace, MULTIGEN, Houdini, XSI, Lightscape, ..etc etc) You can guarantee almost always output to this format. It was design for Real-Time work through, especially over internet. Although it was invented long time ago, it's a very well understood format. You can get atleast 20+ books on this subject.

Best of all, the client application to view it is ALWAYS free. So, if you already own a package to output VRML file, you only need to download the viewer (FREE) to show it to client. Ofcourse there are other "better" solution, such as NavisWorks (http://www.navisworks.com), or other solution people suggested in this thread, but a VRML client player is FREE, you can't really beat that :D

I would recommend the following VRML plugin (be aware, they are not compatible with each other):

Blaxxun Contact : www.blaxxun.com

Cosmo Player 2.11 : www.cosmosoftware.com

Cortona Player : www.parallelgraphics.com

I would most recommend Cosmo Player for your kind of project, as Blaxxun and Cortona are not as efficient at processing large scale urban project.

I myself have design and implment real-time walk through at the city scale level, so my experience is to stick with Cosmo player.

-RM

[ July 13, 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Richard McCarthy ]

Yeh, I think VRML will fulfill your need.

VRML supports : Collision detection, OpenGL or Direct 3D accelerated rendering, and you can run it off the CD-Rom using auto-run script and it will run automatically. (mind you, client must have the VRML client installed. You can include that on the CD)

You will also find a lot of more interesting feature of this FREE real-time renderer, such as:

"Spatialized" Audio support, (attenuation due to distance), mpeg movie texture, interactive "trigger" (for opening doors and window animation, or timed event) "Scripts" for parametric animation, "Switches" to route events and triggers.. etc. etc.

All these advanced feature which you won't find on similiar apps costing thousands of dollars......for FREE ! ;)

(Now I am sounding like a used car salesman..)

-RM

Originally posted by jucaro:

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried turntool. Its quick to deploy and has a fast viewer. unfortunately eek2.gif the price is just a killer! Best I can do is add the turnkey license to the client's bill, but it'll boost current price estimates.

This project is for 3 months starting May.

All I need is a decent enough (performance and price wise) realtime renderering engine.

The resulting interactive walkthru will be distributed to interested parties on the product launching, and another will be installed in an interactive kiosk for the booth in the Malls.

The following are some of the software requirements:

-must have collision detection

-directX compliant (not a must but would be an advantage)

-runs directly from the CDROM (but if this can not be avoided, installing a viewer is still an option)

to make ineractive architectural presentations wherein the client's prospective customer will be able to walk inside the house interactively.

Have people ever thought about this virtual walkthrough idea??? IMHO, what is best: to let your client bump into every wall while looking at things you didn't model or to design smooth camera moves yourself???

I definately go for the latter!

nisus

That's definitely a good point nisus.

At one hand there is a the efficiency of modeling and presenting the work, on the other is the freedom of exploration.

I felt that doing real-time interactive walk through is definitely MORE time consuming. You have to model EVERYTHING. and taking care of persepective an other unforeseen errors.

The end result of a good Real-Time walk through is definitely worth it. The clients will definitely be impressed. Other benefit includes seeing the changes in real-time, given the client more option to enquire, or explore. If you set it up right, you can even given option for client to see many options a design can have, all in realtime. eg. Colours, materials, furnitures.. those can all be toggle in realtime now. See Paragraphics's website.

A rendered walk through on the other hand, is definitely much more efficient. You don't have to model anything that's not on the camera path, and makes rendering much faster. The draw back of this would be the animation would look "definite", without client having much control of it.

If the client enquires about something in particular that's not on the film, you are stucked to explain away or result to sketches on the napkin...

Another point I must bring out is that, on most virtual walk throughs, you should be able to make a pre-defined (or multiple of these) camera path, so when flying over the whole building (or buildings) you can toggle between those camera smoothly without "bumping" into walls. The optional Looking around and freedom to explore (or freedom to bump into wall ;) ) is definitely the "EXTRA" for the most real-time presentation.

I certainly won't walk into a room to present a realtime presentation without having almost all the camera paths defined.

-RM

Originally posted by nisus:

quote:
to make ineractive architectural presentations wherein the client's prospective customer will be able to walk inside the house interactively.

Have people ever thought about this virtual walkthrough idea??? IMHO, what is best: to let your client bump into every wall while looking at things you didn't model or to design smooth camera moves yourself???

I definately go for the latter!

nisus

[ May 11, 2003, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Richard McCarthy ]

The clients will definitely be impressed. Other benefit includes seeing the changes in real-time, given the client more option to enquire, or explore.
So eventually, who will be the designer? The client???

rgds

nisus

• 3 weeks later...

I think ultimately, architects are just a 'medium' in which to translate client's idea.

Unless, the whole project is funded by youself, and yourself is the client ;)

quote:
The clients will definitely be impressed. Other benefit includes seeing the changes in real-time, given the client more option to enquire, or explore.
So eventually, who will be the designer? The client???

rgds

nisus

• 3 weeks later...

Real time visualization ! my favorite subject!

try this url : simulation project it made by virtools.however it in french. let the plugin been downloaded..needs to set this before exploring :

right clic>setting...

>3D render engine>in hardware dx7 or opengl

>full screen resolution> 1024x768 and use 32 bit color mode

then close

right clic>full screen

Made by Autocad 2002 (modelling) + 3dsmax 5( texturing radiosity and baking) + photophop 7( texture&interface) + virtools2.5 (3D interactivity).

This work is still in progress : the 3D visit part> true textures of buillding, cars, tree people, sky, sounds ... i'am at 90% of this work

enjoy it...waitting for replies!

best regards

[ June 22, 2003, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: kaomr ]

Hi kaomr,

I can't figure out how the controls work:

- the orbit tool works too fast to get a good view and I can't stop orbitting

- the fly tool only goes to one position

- the zoom doesn't do a thing

Is it possible to walk in your scene?

rgds

nisus

btw: I speak french too, so language is not a problem ;)

Hi kaomr,

I can't figure out how the controls work:

- the orbit tool works too fast to get a good view and I can't stop orbitting

- the fly tool only goes to one position

- the zoom doesn't do a thing

Is it possible to walk in your scene?

rgds

nisus

btw: I speak french too, so language is not a problem ;)

hi nisus !

>stop orbit by right click (you must be in full screen mode )i can reduce the orbit view speed or add an control for it

>change target view ( in fly view ) by right click

>zoom by arrows in "plan de masse" view only

the wolking throught will be in the " visit 3D" ...work in progrss ;)

rgds

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

my final 3D real time architectural application is now available with a "visit 3D" menu(check the link above ).Use "C" and "T" keys to switch between camera and mouse+arrows to move arround.

there is a camera collision , cars, animated birds and clouds..so hope enjoy it !

wait for replies

best regards

QUEST3d is the the best allaround authoring tool available hands down. I found this out after researching realtime authoring kits for weeks

it is also the quickest dev tool I have ever worked with.

some experienced archi guys on the quest forums prefer it even to virtools (quest cost a fraction of what virtools dose.

even with the light version(if you dont mind a viewer) you can use it commercialy.

the engine is mucho powerful!!! shaders bones lightmapping.

Import yore model (x,3ds) light map it(or do it in max)

drag a template

publish yer walkthrough

Viola!!! instant walkthrough