Are maxwell licenses portable?

BrianKitts

I've been searching the net for some specifics on how Maxwell handle's it's licensing and I'm coming up empty.

I read they "send you the licensing information" after purchase, which leads me to believe that it is a software license and not a hardware system (dongle).

So my main question is to know if it is network based that you can buy X licenses to be shared in an office, or is it licensed to each system with the install.

Secondary question would be is it portable? Perhaps something like the Autodesk PLU that you can export the license to another system temporarily. With Vray I typically take my dongle with me if I'm traveling for use on my laptop, or if I have a good internet signal I VPN back to the office to acquire a license. Does Maxwell afford any similar capability?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Edited by BrianKitts

They told me specifically that the license was portable - I could install it at home and in the office and on my laptop, they didn't mind. (Which I guess I could abuse if I wanted to - short version of the story is I bought 8 licenses for $285.) It's a file you put in the install directory.

They told me specifically that the license was portable

hmmm, maybe they're just glad anyone's using it! :D

Thanks for the details.

I had spent some time last year playing with the demo enough to know that we were going to stick with Vray for production. But some of our archicad users want to support it. It's hard to tell some people that just because maxwell has a direct plug-in for archicad that doesn't mean that it's going to be the right tool for the job.

My comment has been that it's a not a time efficient program and once it becomes one we'll support it company wide, but that time isn't here. But I still need to have the working knowledge to use the program and be able to make that decision.

In my opinion Maxwell will never be able to compete with Vray or any other GI engine until computers become so fast that render times are no longer an issue. Maxwell is easily 10 times slower than Vray, it's almost imposable to use it in an environment that requires you produce more than one image at a time. I also believe that the output has been dramatically altered from what it was when Maxwell was in the alpha/beta stage. Much of what made the images so beautiful has been lost due to the almost complete rewriting of the engine and materials.

• 3 weeks later...