How to set things out accurately in max?

will1113

Hello,

I am in the process of switching over from Sketchup & vray to 3DS max!

One thing i like about sketchup when creating opennings in walls is the fact i can set up construction lines, to mark out my opennings. for example my 1000mm Sill Height & 2000mm Head height. Then set out construction points for where the opennings are, i can then use the line tool and draw in the openning from the construction points and then i can using the Push/Pull tool i can push the openning through. I have attached an example below:

Can you set out opennings etc, in max as easy as this and then push the openning out? Is there a construction line feature in max?

Or do you have to use the boolean Cut tool, by positioning a box where you want the openning then cut it out?

Thank You!

dimensionpushpullsketchew9.th.jpg

Or do you have to use the boolean Cut tool, by positioning a box where you want the openning then cut it out?

For the example you show, booleans are the lazy option for people that don't want to learn 3D. Booleans aren't very efficient for simple geometry and best avoided.

You have a number of different options for building what you show, the quickest would be to turn the wall into an editable poly, inset and then extrude. You will need to push the opening into the right place and size but that is straightforward.

If you have multiple openings, slice planes could be used in just the same way you would use construction lines. Thereafter you would simply extrude to get your opening. This is the method I typically use.

Another good tip would be to think in 3D as much as possible rather than thinking in 2D drafting terms.

JM

Thanks you for your help.

I just tried the one method: i created a wall, turned it into an editable poly, inset and then extruded the wall through, but as you can see from the attached image it did not create the openning, it left the back face??

extrudewo4.th.jpg

Could you explain the slice planes in a bit more detail for me please?

Say if you have a blank wall, turn it into a editable poly, can you draw on your openning using lines/splines where you want it then simply extrude the openning out?

I am really sorry if i am acting really basic! I think i need to do more research! i have got Max on a trial version, i have been using sketchup and vray and used to getting some good results, but sketchup has no where near the power of Max. But sketchup is so quick and easy for creating opennings etc.

the openning, it left the back face??

Do the same inset on the opposite side of the wall and delete the unwanted faces.

Say if you have a blank wall, turn it into a editable poly, can you draw on your openning using lines/splines where you want it then simply extrude the openning out?

You are off thinking in 2D drafting terms again. Think of what you are doing as a 3D object and that the solid stuff left behind is the important bit, not the void where the window is. The model is happiest when its made up of rectangular polygons so mentally break down the surface of the wall into rectangles (rectangles is probably not the best word, polygon with 4 sides is more accurate). Does this 6 step guide to creating a perfect opening help?

Jim

draw your entire wall/facade with a spline, then using the same spline draw the openings - making sure all splines are on the same plane, then slap an extrude or bevel on it depending on your preference. simple, clean geometry. no booleaning or slicing.

Yeah, this will work too. If you cant get the idea of drawing out of your mind then this is probably a better solution. Draw an elevation, extrude it.

Jim

Edited by Jim Mann

draw your entire wall/facade with a spline, then using the same spline draw the openings - making sure all splines are on the same plane, then slap an extrude or bevel on it depending on your preference. simple, clean geometry. no booleaning or slicing.

That's how I do it. quick, simple, clean and easy....also good for future modifications. no need to over complicate things

Thanks Jim and everybody else!! that 6 step was perfect!! It all makes sense now!!!!!

In the final step 6.Weld - will that create the returns to the opennings or do you have to create them yourself?? also can you then delete the slices lines which are no longer needed?? to make it one whole polygon???

I can also see the spline method too, so drawing in front elevation for example and draw your elevation in 2D using splines and then extrude the wall. So it would prob bring in a clean autocad elevation and extrude.

Thanks everybody, its a great forum everybody is really helpful!!!

Do the same inset on the opposite side of the wall and delete the unwanted faces.

You are off thinking in 2D drafting terms again. Think of what you are doing as a 3D object and that the solid stuff left behind is the important bit, not the void where the window is. The model is happiest when its made up of rectangular polygons so mentally break down the surface of the wall into rectangles (rectangles is probably not the best word, polygon with 4 sides is more accurate). Does this 6 step guide to creating a perfect opening help?

Jim

This is simialr to the method I use, however, rather than extruding than deleting unwanted polgons to form the opening, just pick the front and rear polgon for the door/window opening and hit the bridge button. Opening is created.

also can you then delete the slices lines which are no longer needed?? to make it one whole polygon???

No, don't delete the lines. Polgons should have 4 sides, if you delete these lines you will end up with a... damn can't remember the term for this type of poly. Anyway, you can reduce your poly count by target welding the vertices to the corners of the walls.

Edited by Thox

In the final step 6.Weld - will that create the returns to the opennings or do you have to create them yourself??

The negative extrusion created the returns, the weld then welds the vertices from the open edges so that your mesh is tidy and together. You may also want to check your smoothing to make sure you don't get any wierd shading from the software thinking that any of the surfaces should be curved.

also can you then delete the slices lines which are no longer needed?? to make it one whole polygon???

Your thinking 2D again, stop it! The slice lines aren't lines but edges of polygons, they are exactly where they should be and you won't see them when you render so don't worry and waste time trying to hide them.

Poly modelling is a great method for building architecture. I've used all sorts of different methods during the past 15 years and poly modelling is the one I have settled one. Its quick, effective and reliable in my experience. I do use other techniques like lofts, bevel profile etc but most of the time its editable polys that get me where I need to be. Its also worth noting that with a building, you don't always need the interior walls so i often model the exterior shell rather than the individual walls.

Glad the 6 point guide helped.

Jim

Stop thinking 2D!! Stop thinking 2D!! :) done!!

I will get there in the end....!!

I am going to have a real good play around with Max over the weekend, now you have clarified a few things for me and given me a basis to start from!! and i will really focus on editable polys!!

Thank you all for helping me out!! really appreciate it!!