importing from cad to max..

shikodesign2000

Hi,

When I import 3d models containing curves from autocad 2008 to 3dmax 2009, the curves don't come properly, they are jagged and there's no any smoothness..,I tried traditional ways in autocad and 3dmax but no solution.:(

In autocad I made higher (arch. and segments smoothness, segment in a polyline curve and rendered object smoothness).

In max I tried to change the smoothness settings in the import dwg dialog when i import the 3d object from autocad.

Anyone has any suggestion??:confused:

In Autocad at the command prompt type Facetres and press enter. In response to the prompt, type 10, then press enter. Do the same for Isolines.

The ISOLINES system variable controls the number of tessellation lines used to visualize curved portions of the wireframe. The FACETRES system variable adjusts the smoothness of shaded and hidden-line objects.

After you do this, try importing you model into max again using the Legacy AutoCAD file type.

I hope this helps!

Because the model appears properly in AutoCAD and you enabled the smoothing angle on import, the only other thing that I can think of: Is the model located at 0,0,0 in AutoCAD?

If anyone else can chime in here, I'm curious as to what else could cause this problem.

If you use the standard dwg import it will always approximate the curves to a number of steps that you can define in the import dialogue box. If you want your curves to come in properly as beziers then use the Legacy Autocad import option. You don't get the same choice over picking layers etc. it just all comes in, but the upside is your curves will be perfect!

• 1 month later...

I am also having this problem, importing a curve from AutoCad LT 2009 to Max 2009... I have followed exactly Brian Smiths directions (have his book) and although the curves are better they still are not perfect. The first image is from autocad, and the second is from Max using the legacy import option. The curves should follow each other but dont, and the radius' are all off... Very frustrating while I am trying to extrude window frames!

Acad1.jpg

Max1.jpg

Yes I tried that, and it fixed it to a degree, but still off. It almost seems to me that max is calculating the radius of the spline all off from cad. Some of the radius' have no verticies and some have one. I am new to this workflow, and am guessing the solution is to just draw the splines in Max and extrude there, but I would need a lot of practice with that!

Hi,

When I import 3d models containing curves from autocad 2008 to 3dmax 2009, the curves don't come properly, they are jagged and there's no any smoothness..,I tried traditional ways in autocad and 3dmax but no solution.:(

In autocad I made higher (arch. and segments smoothness, segment in a polyline curve and rendered object smoothness).

In max I tried to change the smoothness settings in the import dwg dialog when i import the 3d object from autocad.

Anyone has any suggestion??:confused:

The problem you're experiencing is due to the import settings in MAX. When you import your AutoCAD file make sure to have your "curve steps" set to around 100 and your "maximum deviation for 3D solids" set to around .005. That should solve your problem!

E