RPC's with matte material in an RPF file...20MB per frame!?!?

Jim Mann

I am putting together an animation where there is going to be some to-ing and fro-ing on the landscape so I am rendering out the trees (RPC in this case) to a seperate RPF file. The problem is that each frame is about 20MB in size for normal PAL resolution. The only parameters set for the RPF are velocity and z-depth.

Does anybody know if these mad file sizes are caused by the RPC's or the Matte material on the surrounding surfaces? Has anybody else managed to combine RPC's with matte materials in an RPF successfully?

I can get round it by rendering seperate bitmaps for the trees and their alpha but I would prefer to stick with the RPF format so that the trees get the same motion blur and depth cues in Combustion.

Thanks in advance

JM

Well I'm positive that you are not incorporating just the z-depth and velocity in the RPF, but seeing the file size you are rendering every channel available in the RPF format. A simple workaround is to render the z-depth using the render elements function. It has nothing to do with the RPC's.

Only z-depth and velocity are checked...I checked! Maybe the whole range is being incorporated, I don't know. If it is, its a bug in something. Just wondered if anybody else had experienced the same thing.

Yeah, I agree render elements work, but once you start using RPF's they are so much better for most animation work