Microstation to AutoCAD Compatibility

waytovietnam

One of our upcoming projects will be to work with a client that uses Microstation. We are using AutoCAD 2002. I know Microstation can save to DWG format. I also am aware that Microstation views layers as levels and is only capable of 63 levels. Aside from these minimal issues I am wondering if there are any other issues I should be aware of. Are there any websites I can go to that review translation issues between these programs?

One of our upcoming projects will be to work with a client that uses Microstation. We are using AutoCAD 2002. I know Microstation can save to DWG format. I also am aware that Microstation views layers as levels and is only capable of 63 levels. Aside from these minimal issues I am wondering if there are any other issues I should be aware of. Are there any websites I can go to that review translation issues between these programs?

63 levels is not the limit. The correct limit is 4 billions. Should be enough for most users.

You want to find out more? I recommend signing up at BE Communities, it's free, and this is where all the Microstation Experts/developers and users can be reached: http://communities.bentley.com

There are a lot of forums, use the search tool, and you will probably find the forum that is dedicated to dwg-dgn related issues.

PS: there is absolutely no need to buy Rhino or Intellicad to transfer files between Autocad and Microstation. This suggestion is nonsense (sorry, but it is!).

• 2 weeks later...
63 levels is not the limit. The correct limit is 4 billions. Should be enough for most users.

The 63 limit was removed in V8 - which came out in 2001.

Layers / levels work in a fairly similar way in both programs nowadays. MS gives easier control than Acad when dealing with Xref layers - e.g. you can quickly turn off the layer with the same name in all xrefs etc.

Compatibility is fairly good generally, although there are some problems with 3D.