Moving pivot point

YOHKOH

Ok as a follow on from my parametric post.

Is there a way to adjust where the width and length parameters, of say a plane, are generated from.

If I adjust the width of my plane it grows from the middle. Can i make it grow from just one end. Similar to the way the shell modifier works.

I thought maybe pivot point would do this but it has no effect.

Ta

Edited by YOHKOH
T

Thanks but this didn't work.

I would like to where the width / length adjustment takes place from on a simple box.

If I change the heigh parameter of a box it starts from the base and moves up. Is there any way to tell max to start this adjustment from say 1/3 of the way along the box or from the other end?

Ta

I think everyone is missing the question.... it's not about scaling after an object is created. It's about making an adjustment by increasing the parameters in the parent objects properties.

Such that if you create a 10x10 box, then move the pivot to a corner and then change the boxes size (in the modify panel, not by scaling) to 20x20 it will still grow from it's center point, not from the adjusted pivot point.

I've been failing to find a solution to the problem.... hopefully the explanation will get more people headed in the right direction to find the answer.

I've been digging through the max scripts properties for the standard object set, it's leading me to think that it might not be possible, and you may need to investigate the route of making the parametric a adjustment with multiple commands along the lines of....

1. object size gets scaled times a value of x

2. objects placement is moved a value of .5x away from pivot.

Edited by BrianKitts

I have found a workaround and that is to add an edit poly modifier into the the stack, deleting faces and then adding a shell or extrude on top to affect the individual polygons.

This means having an edit poly and then extrude mod for each parameter. Makes sense when you try it and then rename the mods to "width", "length" etc.

You can then move up and down the stack effecting eac parameter.

Using this and then wire parameters i've managed to construct a parametric cladding system on a building totally in max.

Will post scene when i get the chance.

Although a solution to my original question would be nice.