Project Newport - a game engine for architects

3dmillermeter

• Administrators
Ill start to worry when they can produce photo-real interiors/exteriors directly from Revit or Autocad - I think this is more of a design tool like sketchup etc.

There is actually a service company that is working on something like this now using the maxwell render engine. You upload your Revit model to their servers, you navigate the scene from your browners and assign canned photo-real shaders and lights and press render. You get back a photo-real render from their cloud of servers. From the demo I saw at AU it looked pretty slick. I think they will be going live in March.

I played with the demo they had extensively at AU 2008. I must admit, while the technology is pretty cool, (using a Wii controller to navigate a model, or using a digital white box to drive a cameras position, pitch, yaw) it's still very infant. There were many bugs in the system when i played with adding textures and cameras. In my opinion i was hoping for something far more polished than what was produced in front of me.

Maybe i was hoping for something along the lines of Crysis/Sandbox-esque clarity and realism when the result is really borderline Sketchup-esque. Perhaps that is your cup of tea, but we/me should be in the market to show the client a true "what if" picture. I can get the same result being shown in the videos posted on the site by doing the same procedure in Sketchup. Again, i was hoping to be blown out of the water, but who knows, maybe they've fixed some issues and when the demo is released i hope to roll up my sleeves and take a good crack at it. My $.02

From what I see at the moment Newport is very weak. I had a go at both Quest3D and RTRE, and was able to produce better content than what Ive watched on the Newport teaser. If a teaser is supposed to show the best of the best (and I think it is supposed to showcase such), when comparing teasers to both the programs I mentioned it falls behind quite far, unless it is still in heavy development.

Edited by Horhe

From the videos on newport - the visuals don't look strong compared to some of the tools currently available, but if they can pull the model directly from Revit and use the BIM information to directly drive parts of the animation without requiring intervention - and capture info back into that project database, that would be impressive. Be interesting to see how this evolves.

I wish theyd implement things like this into Max's viewports..

It might be on the way (i hope, i hope):)

check this out.

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/blogs_ken/blog_detail/au_tech_demo_viewports/

and

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/blogs_ken/blog_detail/research_pushing_the_possibilities_of_viewport_performance/

Edited by 3dmillermeter