can i define higher settings only for special objets?

max.m

hi there, i face a problem with artefacts on my balcony balustrade, over all in the houses i the back

i use a material with opacity map there. with "medium settings" (medium preset - noise treshhold 0,005), i get nice results and good rendertimes for my scene, but artefacts on the balcony balustrade. i can handle that with higher settings (high preset - 0,002 noise treshhold) for the price of much higher rendertimes.

question: can i define higher settings, material- or object wise, as i can handle it with the subdivisions for refl - refr?

artefakteinopacitymap.jpg

thanks for your reply dave. the refraction color is black, i have no refraction. therefore glossiness is 1,0 and subdivisions 8. as i unterstood the subdivisions there only control the quality of a blurry refraction(frosted glass), as i have none, i don`t know which influence this has on the material quality. (i control the partial opacity of the material with an opacity map)

also the reflection color of the balustrase material is black. do the subdivision counters in refl + refr of the vray material also take influence on the materialquality when there are no blurry refl+refr in the material?

i think the artifacts in the balconys appear because of the opacity map.

when i rise the noise treshhold from 0,005 to 0,002 the artifacts dissapear for the price of much more rendertime. is there a possibility to adjust this localy?

thanks for your replies,

Re: can i define higher settings only for special objets?

I'm not sure about vray, but in Mental Ray you can adjust the blur on the texture to 0.01 and it should fix that problem.

cheers

tried this yet, and tried also area instead of pyramidical filtering -no bettering.

i think rerendering the problematic areas with higher setting and comping the images together in ps is the best solution.

modelling them would have solved this problem but i guess you dont want to hear that!

tried this on a much smaller project half a year ago. i got extreme boost of polygons in the scene...

Edited by max.m