Corrupt max file! Help!!!

Brian Cassil

OK, I doubt there will be anything that can be done here but I thought I would see if there is ANYTHING that could be done to save this file.

When I try to open the file Max says "File Open Failed" along with the path to where the file is saved. I'm using 3ds Max Design 64 bit version. I've tried opening the file in the 32 bit version as well but to no avail.

I've tried to merge the file several times but I get no response. It's not locking up on me, It just does nothing. I can't get to the object list to merge it in, in pieces so that's not an option right now either. There is no version of it in the qutoback file, and the older saves are several days old. I've tried switching from DirectX to OpenGL and still no response. Like I said, I think I'm screwed, but if someone knows something to try I'll try anything.

Doh! I did not try that. We've now retrieved a file from the tape backup and are pretty much caught up with where we were earlier this morning. I had forgotten all about the MaxBack file. I'll remember that next time. Or maybe I won't have to. I'm sure Autodesk has solved any crashing problems with max 2010... right?

I'm sure Autodesk has solved any crashing problems with max 2010... right?

Oh without a doubt of course! (uhhh.... yeah)

Thanks for the maxback tip fran, I didn't know that one. A lot of times I go to one of our rendernodes and pull the max file out of the backburner/server job folder, since I net render so much normally that file is pretty recent.

• 1 month later...
What about the MaxBack.bak file in the autoback folder?

OMG fran you life saver.

I just saved and the the corrupted message. I was almost in tears! This worked and I'm slightly less unhappy now :p

THANKS XD

Brian

I just bought a 1 terrabyte hard drive last night for 135 bucks: That's cheap!

But more importantly, three years ago I fixed autoback up, so that it saves only if your scene is dirty. And I bumped up the maximum number of autoback up files from 9 to 99.

So you should combine the two, and get a big hard-drive, and maximize your autoback number to a really high number (i.e. max?)

Chris J.

• 5 months later...

I am experiencing the same issue of files unable to load (and unable to merge), except that it happens like once or twice a week. Is anyone else having these issues with 2010? I have been able to use my autobacks and .bak files mostly but it happens on older files too, which makes it scary to even try to open an older file. It doesn't seem to happen when working locally though, so I didn't know if it would have anything to do with our network. Also I am on 32 bit 2010, but we have others working with 64 bit 2010 - could that be an issue too? Anyone have any thoughts?

• 7 months later...

Incremental save.. saved my ( put word you like here) sooooooo many times.

Everybody should use this all the time.

So if you are a ctrl+s happy clicker, like most of us I guess, the maximum amount of work you'll ever lose is something around 4-5 minutes....