Raster image quality, Autocad to Adobe PDF

aaron-cds

I can't seem to get rid of the jagged edges in the inserted raster image when using the Adobe PDF printer in Autocad 2008. I don't have this problem when creating pdf's in photoshop cs2 with the Adobe PDF printer.

The current work around is to create a pdf of our titleblock, which comes out perfect, and open it in photoshop. Then, the jpeg is inserted into the new photoshop file where a pdf of the image with the titleblock is created without jagged lines. Obviously, it would be nice to cut out this step. Any help is greatly appreciated.

HI Aaron,

Not sure if this is an applicable answer for you, but in the past I would set the PDF page size to be overly large. Then when you open it in PS, I would re size to tabloid dimensions, therefore gaining more res and thus sharper/cleaner line work.

Good luck & hi to Aaron E. for me!

Scott

The Adobe Acrobat has plenty of settings to resolve this issue. OTB, Acrobat uses "Standard" seting, which are really set for speed and size. With "Standard" settings images are downsampled to 150 DPI. Acrobat also has "High Quaility" and "Press Quality" as stock settings. I think you'll find the "High Quality" will probably give you what you need. This downsamples to 450 DPI. If you need higher settings - you can create a custom configuration. (Even 2400 DPI if you want.)

Just look in the Acrobat print settings driver dialog. Other PDF writers also have similar adjustments available in their driver settings. Most use 150 DPI as the default for image downsampleing.

The reason you don't have issues with the titleblock is that it is sent to the the PDF as vector. The raster translation happens when you open it in Photoshop.