Revit FBX import into 3DS Max Network Rendering issues

GFFMedia

Hi all,

I am having an issue with a Max file (from Revit) being sent to render on a network through backburner:

I have a walkthrough animation that I am working on in 3DS Max. The building model is from Revit. I exported it out as an FBX and imported that into Max. I swapped out all of the materials from Revit for Arch & Design materials in Max. My lights and cameras were all created in 3DS Max. When I try to send the file to our Network to render through Backburner it errors out everytime with: "an unexpected exception has occurred...". I have checked all of my map paths - they are good. I had others in my office check them for me as well. I have sent the file with a material override - it still errors. I have sent it with all of my lights removed - it still errors. I have merged everything into a completely new Max file to fix anything that might corrupted. There are no links or Xrefs in the file. The file is by no means a large file compared to what I usually send to the network.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? Is there an issue with the Revit FBX being sent through backburner out of Max? Even if someone doesn't have an answer, I would like to know if others have had this problem so I can know if there is some underlying issue to be aware of in the future.

Thanks!

Jess Phieler

It isn't because the file originated in Revit. I render FBX's from Revit all the time through Bacburner. What about RAM? ...how much does your machine have, and how much does the network machine have?

Also, watch the file launch on the Backburner machine. You will inderstand the problem better. Meaing, is it starting to render, then crashing at a certan point, or is it not loading at all.

Thanks Travis,

My IT guy here at work says it isn't a RAM problem, but I will have him look into it again. The RAM on our render server is supposed to match up with that on our personal ones so we don't run into an issue when network rendering. The error - which I assume is a Max crash - happens after the first frame has just finished rendering. So maybe something is happening in the cleanup stage?

I really wanted to see if there was some underlying problem with Revit and going to backburner more than anything else - so thanks for that answer. :D