Connecting lines to create SmartLines

TomA

Theres a couple of ways of doing this in your groups menu you have them all "create compex shapes" which closes a shape and "create complex chain" which joins the lines but doesn't close them. I personally nearly always use "create region" all you do is fill an area and you have the shape. You can also put in a gap tolerance, union shapes, subtract shapes, intersect shapes etc. It's actually the same as booleaning but in 2d.

Hope this helps

Tommy

Thanks!

I've had a quick go and your suggestions seem to work fine!

On the subject of booleaning (should probably be a new thread but since you seem to be the resident expert on Microstation I thought i'd just carry on this one)...

Sometimes when I use the Construct Difference command the shape left over seems to corrupt slightly i.e. it's the equivalent in Max to one of the faces becoming deleted in the compound object, if you know what I mean.

Do you know any way to fix / cap / heal this?

Much appreciated!

Tom

Edited by TomA

This usually happens when it's not drawn using acs and accudraw properly. If is a little bit off it can act funny. Now that you know how to set your acs and use it accurately you should have no problems. I've always found booleaning in MS to be brilliant although I did have similiar problems to you at the start.

Another thing is that sometimes your solids might not show up right in your model. If you find that you have to restart MS to make them look alright this is a graphics driver issue. It happened with everyone in my old workplace that installed xm they had to update their graphics card. If your using xm do not under any circumstances use dwg info. If you need to ref in a dwg don't as this is the worst culprit of them all. It's like a virus it looks grand at first then it all goes Pete Tong.

What you have to do is make a new dgn file, xref in the dwg and select everything using the select tool (dragging from left to right) then copy the file through from the xref. This is the only way to stop the virus merge, save as, export etc. doesn't work believe me

Tommy