how do i close these splines to extrude?!!

huntch3

Hi

I created an ellipsoid, and then shelled it...I then arrayed and cut about 100 transverse sections spaced apart, and created a new shape from each section...finally i attempted to extrrude each shape, some of which worked fine, and some I couldnt...is this because the shape's vertices arent all attached? I wonder why some sections worked and some not....I think theres some overlap in lines with some sections, which might be causing it to be non-extrudable.....any suggestions? I tried detaching the segments and re attaching/welding the vertices, but no luckkk....please help!!!!

thankssss

this is probably due as you say to un-welded vertices and/or overlapping lines. try welding with few different tolerances..........or you might have to go into each join and check the lines.

The other thing to check is that all the vertices are in the same plane, if they are slightly out it might not weld this could look like the join is correct when actual it is broken. to fix this select all the vertices then scale (non-uniform) in 'Z' (or which ever axis is top-bottom)

or you could detach the lines that do work to a new element then just array those around until you have the complete set.

hope this helps!

Heyyy

Okay..here are 3 pics...the first one is of the object im cutting up sections...the second pic is after i have extruded some of the shapes i created from the sections....these ofcourse worked fine...last is a pic of the shape that will not extrude...ive tried everything to close it but i cannot make a solid object from this ring for some reason....!!!!

hey there,

The last picture in your set of three shows the problem, the two bottom corners wont work unless you remove the intersecting lines. you need to have two concentric spline (with no joins between the 2) to make a solid 'ring'.

hope this helps

hi Batfink82

Thanks for the reply...that makes sense...but Im not quite sure how to do that with this "ring"...I posted another pic...is there an easy way to "seal" this ring?...to join the ring at the point ehere the 2 lines intersect??? thanks

yes there is, in the edit spline menu under geometry there is a tool called 'trim' try this, it should cut the line at the intersect. once cut you just need to weld the join to make it complete. when welding use a threshold of 0.001 (working in Meters) so that it doesn't move any vertices it shouldn't.