Is there a way to view HDR's as thumbnails in Windows Explorer?

danb4026

this came up at ego lounge. I cant post links yet (too few posts) so i'll describe where it is:

go to Ego Lounge forums > Questions and Troubleshooting > General CG Questions > HDRI thumbnail viewer ?

i think the conclusion is that you can do it by downloading and installing dlls and such, but the result is slow in terms of response time. Better to make jpegs of all your hdrs and view thumbnails of the jpegs :)

Yeah, there are external pieces of software that will show thumbnails of HDR's but you can't use those to drag and drop into a VrayHDRI in the material editor.

I went thru the process described in the Ego Lounge postings, without luck. Perhaps it's a Vista 64 problem.

So far no luck, but thanks for all the ideas.

If you convert you HDR's to jpg's, won't they just "become" jpg's? If you drag and drop, wont you be dragging a jpg not and hdr?

yes they will become jpegs - I was thinking that you can use the jpeg thumbnails to see the name of the hdri file you want to use, and then drag that hdri file into max...

Okay, tried it and it works a treat. A little slower but considering it's processing 32-bit images on-the-fly what do you expect. If the slight speed decrease bothers you then go with the option suggested previously and save a jpeg version of each HDR in the same folder.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en

Stephen, I already downloaded the Nov 2008 directx sdk and registered the txview.dll. (that is what you are referring to, correct?).

I have vista 64bit and can't get it to work on my system. Do you know if it will work on vista 64 and that I am doing something wrong?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...