lightscape versus max

aluigi

Hi all

I am starting to use viz 4 and Max 6 for

my renderings, and coming from lightscape

i am tryng to understand the differents between

the 2 software about radiosity.

I would like to ask you few questions:

1)Can you use ies day light and photom. lights toghethet in a scene?

2)Can you move object once radiosity is done withoutupsetting the rendering?

3)Can you include more object in the scene after the radiosity done and using only standard lights

to illuminate it?

I would appreciate your advice on this.

Cheers

Hi Luigi,

I have never used Lightscape but I'll take a stab at answering some of your questions.

Q1) I have used both IES and Photometric lights in a scene before without Radiosity and acheived some decent results however without the Radiosity, you loose the benefit of the Photometric Light in general.

Q2) In my experience with Radiosity thus far, Adding or Removing Geometry and Materials tends to "Invalidate" the Radiosity Solution. But this doesn't really mean your render will look terrible as it is. It's when you change something that will affect the bounced light or color bleeding on prominant objects in your scene that a Re-Calculation should be done.

Q3) I believe the answer is yes. Like I said above, if you really want the new objects to behave accuratly in the scene, they should be included in the Rad. Solution. I've heard of a few others here in the forums who use additional standard lights in their Rad. Scenes after the Rad. Calc.