exporting files from 2010 to 2009

Stan Zaslavsky

been playing around with max 2010 - nice modelling tools and all the like.

but when it will come time to populating with scenery and rendering - most of the plugins are still for max 2009. So here is the dilemma - how do you export the file from Max 2010 to Max 2009 with maintaining layers and material information? Because i thought - i'll do the modelling in 2010 and then render and populate in 2009 (kinda defeats the purpose but its a way out i suppose)

is this possible? otherwise i guess that nice box with Max 2010 on it will sit on the shelf for a little while.

hope there is an answer out there. :confused:

the only current answer is using the BFF http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/bff-bobos-file-format

it IS possible, if a major pain in the arse, its much easier if you make sure you're not using any plugins or features that are only specific to 2010.. (IE: i had to strip out all of the Color Correction maps, to get it to work coming from 2009 back to 2008.)

I had this problem last weekend. I don't seem to have enough ram for 2010 at the moment, so I ran into trouble in the last stages of a complex project I had worked on for 3 days.

What I did was export the file in FBX format. It worked well for me. However there was no animation in my project so I can't say it that will export in this format.

Hope that helps.

plugins have been great - especially onyx tree ... i came across xfrogs collection of prepared trees on the autodesk seek site for free - so maybe that is the answer.

otherwise 2010 is pretty cool so far (except that it takes about a couple of minutes longer to load than 2009)

A lot of companies are not up grading because of the times we are in.

And this is proving to be a serious pain.

Autodesk should watch the market, and make it backwards compatible.

A lot of the consultants we work with are not upgrading, and all of our modeling and texturing lighting is not getting through to them, correctly.

Autodesk stop being greedy, and make an effort to please the masses in these hard times.

I don't think we will bother next year if we run into this problem for the next year.

Not worth it.

phil

Max has never and problably never will be backwards compatible. Check out scriptspot.com for some recompiled plugins and scripts and the list will grow.

I am still playing with 2010 before I role it out to production. So far I am happy. Just a few things to test. One thing I am happy about is the improvment with handling heavy scenes. I have a scene that will only render in 64bit with 2009 and will render with 3bit 2010.

jhv