Struggling here, could use some crits

alias_marks

Hey all, I'm working on this project solo and feel like I'm getting some hard core tunnel vision. I'm having some major creative block. The Major challenge is that the design is not even close to finished, but I still need to make the images interesting and 'look detailed'

My initial thought was to fill a bunch of the space up with some npr techniques but I feel like it's just not cutting it. Any feedback, reactions, or coments are most welcome.

It's for a competition so it doesn't need to be photoreal and can be more diagramatic.

Thanks much :)

Courtyard_v02.jpg

StreetDesign_v13_lowres.jpg

M-

Edited by alias_marks
fix to current image.

Hey Mike,

I think the sky could be deeper blues, to contrast, and make the form of the building pop. Maybe the sun is lower in the sky, casting warmer colors onto the white. Also, in the first image, the ground and the building being the same color concerns me a bit. Especially in the corner where it is blown out.

Not sure if it is a good way to go, but maybe it will help you look at it differently... Of course the lighting is different in my sky, and the scene.

I would also print it out, and take it home tonight. It is Friday, so have a few beers to relax, then look at it again. You might see something you didn't before.

Edit: Adding a second edition with some streakiness to emphasize movement. Though the streaks are a bit extreme. Basically, I am just painting in Photoshop, and having fun.

By the way, is this in the city? ...or is that undisclosed?

Edited by Crazy Homeless Guy

i love the composition of the second image!

i think both scenes would benefit from the lower sun. firstly, like CHG suggested warmer colors and secondly you'd get more contrast in the images.

have you tried some vegetation ? i think there's room for some green islands on the paved areas and also some linear vegetation. maybe a vehicle or two with some blur or a nice monorail. all either colored or NPP style.

What Travis said...plus

Bottom image:

No clouds! It's about shapes, not patterns.

Move the camera slightly left, frame up a little but keep the tower sliver on the right--fake it if need be. This gets you the classic thirds for strong elements.

Lower the sun angle to allow some sun on the white mass. Right now its all shadowed by the whatevertheyare surfaces. Also rotate the sun slightly so the foreground shadow is more in the fore, leaves room for the shipshape but stops it from sailing off the page. Or, if you really want the feeling of forward movement, eliminate the foreground crossing shadow.

Top image:

No clouds!

Change the sun direction so its coming from the left. This will unify the shadows with the objects casting them. It will simplify the massing which you need because it has all those little bumpy things and draped surfaces. It will clarify the massing, as well, for example the low projecting mass will read better as a solid. Currently its lost in the white-on-white and angled lines of shadows fighting the defining edges of the mass shapes. The shadows will point towards the right and that is where the brightest area will be, pushing the right flank of the building forward.

Give the ant-people something to do. Maybe add a large sculpture or stripe of green.

I hope this isn't too late to be of any use in your schedule. Good luck!

• 5 months later...

hey guys, I wanted to follow up here and say thanks so much for the comments. We ended up providing base images for the archtiects to work with, and they added quite a bit of photoshop. Might go back and revisit some day and incorporate your comments. Thanks again for taking the time to check things out.

As a note aside, the project actually won the competition! It was the Re: Vision Dallas competition

here's some more info on the project if you have any interest - http://www.xerosite.net/

Thanks again :)

Credits for Photoshop work go to Mark Hogan and Amit Price Patel @ David Baker Archtiects

Edited by alias_marks
link updated & added images