max file grew too big pls HELP

fadi3d

hello everybody,

this is driving me crasy i was working on an interior scene (max 2009 Vray sp2) i have 101,854 polys (88,023 verts) and when i noticed the file is taking too much time to save i checked the size it was (491,776 KB) and the previous file was a mere 61.235 KB i did not add much polygons and i used the garbage collector which gives me in the maxscript listener 1693536L ???? and no use

i don't want to go back to where i've started so please help

thanks in advance

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey...

Heard such a problem for the first time..

though...

if u follow the extension, u get the backup files....

My documents>3dsmax>autoback

This is the default place for max files.Approx 3 files are saved.

Please check all...

One may be the one u are looking for.

customize/prefferences, files tab and mark "compress on save" ;)

That was my first thought.....

If that doesn't work, select just objects in your scene and do a "save selected" to dump them out to a new file. Check that file and see what the file size is, if that's normal then you must have some hidden/bad geometry eating up your file size.

I find that merging objects into a new scene is fa more efficient than "save selected", since it doesnt save many sometimes unneccesary info accompanying the objects (materials in material editor, environment settings, etc..)

1- Go to your render dialogue, bottom of the dialogue, select presets, and save your render presets.

2- reset and start a new file, load the render settings you just saved.

3- Start meging objects, starting with the ones you created first, saving incrementally to different filenames (file01.max, file02.max, etc..)

4- The more objects you add, the bigger the file will get, up until you see that gigantic leap in file size, you'll be able to figure out the culprit.

It's the only way around this that i see.

I recently had a 16mb file jump to 230mb only after animating a few characters with biped footsteps! but when i figured out that they were causing the problem, i saved out the animation ifo to point cache and merged into a new file. File, with animated characters, went back to 16mb.

hello dear friends,

thank u all for ur help the truth is i'm not sure what happened but i Chose file NEW and keep objects (but not hierarchy) and saved and the file droped to 14000 KB (i hope this will help somebody in the future)

once agai thank u all and take care ur the greatest forum ever.

Cheers.

• 9 months later...

Here is another one in case it happens to any of you. Call it a "max virus" or call it a bug on the system, or call it what you will, but one thing you can check is "Motion Mixer" under "Graph Editors". If this file is full of lines and you have not done anything with it, your file is, what we call in our office "blotted". We found at one time, many years ago, a script that will handle it that is called "Motion Mixer Cleanse". Not sure where to find it, but I have it attached here. Hope that helps to anyone that runs into this problem.

Best

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You just need to put it where the rest of your scripts are and then run it from 3DS Max. Go to MaxScript, then click on Run Script and a window opens with all of your scripts. Copy the script in that folder then double click on it and it will run by itself. Easy going.

• 3 months later...

Keep objects (without hierarchy)... saved my day! Thanks everyone!

My last file was 260MB very, very large, and when I made new small changes the file jumped to 600MB and then I saved as again and then jump to 1.250GB! no chance to work on it.. Now, after File -> New -> Keep objects (without hierarchy) the the file is 32 MB !!!!!! Unbelievable!!

Maybe the several groups that I was using at the scene was causing it .... when you open a new file, without any hierarchy you lose all groups.

The ballooning file issue with mixer tracks was fixed in the 2009 release. However, files that already have this problem will not be corrected. So if a file was created before the 2009 release and then subsequently saved in a later release it will still contain the bloated tracks. To clean this file you can use the attached maxscript.

If you are able to reproduce this problem on a more recent release please submit before and after files along with detialed repro steps here: http://www.autodesk.com/3dsmax-DefectSubmission

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey everyone,

i'm having a similar problem, however it's not so much annoying when it comes to the saved file size, as to the ram it uses when opened cause i cannot render the scene...

i'va managed to reduce the scene size to 100mb from the 400mb, yet still it opens very slow and uses approx. 3gb of the total 4gb ram i have...

i cannot import/merge objects nor render the scene cause it crashes... the scene itself is not too complex, and similar ones used to use about 500mb of memory while opened and max. 1,5gb on rendering...

i have no idea what could have happened, could it be a problem with the software itself? i'm using max 2011 32bit, which - by the way - 2 days ago started to load much slower than before. the file saving time is also odd - it can take even 5-10min to save... :/

i'd appreciate any help... thanx

loading Max 2011 itself will use upwards of 500mb of RAM, plus the OS will usually hold close to 1GB these days on a system for everyday use and not stripped clean for production. Add to all that a 32bit OS has a limitation of 2GB of addressable space per application.

I would highly recommend upgrading to a 64bit OS and the 64bit version of Max.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am using the 64bit versions - both the software and the system.

I've managed to solve the filesize and the used RAM amount problem. And now I'm stuck with the application hangs when traying to save the file (or on auto-save). The files of about 20MB size with a simple scene (and about 7MB compressed on save) are taking more than 8hrs to save! I don't think anyone has time for that :/ I did try few times to leave it on for the night and it ended up saved after all, but few times it did stuck for good... Reinstallation didn't help and the error is AppHangB1...

There is no other geometry or materials, nor the settings, which I haven't used before and everything was fine. It's just like the programm decided suddenly one day to make my life a hell... :/

• 2 months later...

I have same problem when MAX save files 4-5 minutes. Both scripts (padre.ayuso's Motion Mixer Cleanse.zip and theqball's RemoveMixerReftargs_.zip) do nothing. Just nothing! In Dope Sheet are LOT of note tracks, but both scripts can't clean them. BTW, I use MAX 2011 Design, Win7 64 bit. Maybe scripts can't run on MAX 2011?

P.S. davistalexander's script helped to me. Many thanks! :)

Edited by bronius