Boolean Problems

Sergio

Hi guys,

I am trying to boolean 7 cylinder and 5 spheres from box object. Am I asking 3DS Max 5 too much?

Please if somebody can help me? I am quite behind because of that problem. BTW I am trying to model one very complicated sealing with dome and vaults.

Regards Sergio!

hey Sergio!

If you have a chance to model the sealing in any other way - do it!

MAX booleans suck, (they have allways sucked)thats the sad fact.

(although I read somewhere that they have fixed them for r6, does anyone know?)

anyways... I find that MAX sometimes does a better boolean job if you attach all your subtraction-objects together. That way you only do ONE boolean instead of 12... It doesnt allways work, but since MAX Booleans arent very logical, its worth a try.

/K

Alright,

Yes unfortunatly Max 5 does not always deal with booleans in the best way. However they did cover for it in one way. If you boolean an object, then use the optimize command(can be found under modify). This will allow you an option control the number of faces of the object, as well as the Auto Edge option. Playing with these settings will allow you to avoid those jagged edges. YOu may need to optimize after every time you boolean. I know it doesnt seem like the most practical way to do things, but it actually helps a great deal.

Best of Luck

JM

"For what it's worth, MAX 6 seems to be rock solid with Booleans"

sweet! too bad I cant afford r6... :( but its still good that they fixed it.

I like booleans, but in r4 (which I use) theres simply too much trouble using them.

Maybe they´ll release an update / bugfix for earlier max-versions too?? what do you think?

r u booloan 1 by 1 .. ?? ?

Fisrt do what SKOGSKALLE saw " anyways... I find that MAX sometimes does a better boolean job if you attach all your subtraction-objects together. That way you only do ONE boolean instead of 12... It doesnt allways work, but since MAX Booleans arent very logical, its worth a try."

Then do what SKOGSKALLE saw "increase the segments on your box"

i think that have to work...