Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rendering a Rhino wireframe

Name
    Jennifer Kasick
    Forum Username
    kitkatkasick

United_States

Default Rendering a Rhino wireframe

Hey all, I found these images on google and was wondering how to render a wireframe using either Vray for Rhino, Flamingo, or Maxwell. I am not sure how to acheive the same effects as these sections. Thanks!
    Attached Images

Name
    Michael Kafasis
    Forum Username
    Mixkaf

Brazil

Default Re: Rendering a Rhino wireframe

I'd love to learn how to do that to, although for architecture renders. I've searched everywhere I could think of but to no avail. Please help if you know or have an idea! Thanks

Name
    Garland Steele
    Forum Username
    onyx

United States

i dunno how to render a true wire frame in vray either but a decent cheat is to use the lattice modifier.. It turns the wire frame of any object into geometry that you can render.. So, make a copy of your object, on of them use the lattice to show the wire frame and with the other object apply a transparent material if you want that kinda ghostly look. Or you just render the latticed object alone, whatever floats your boat.

Edit: Sorry This was the tool on 3ds max that i use, i don't know if Rhino, Flamingo, or Maxwell have similar tools.
    "let me be the blesser of all souls"

Name
    Clarence Bricklyne
    Forum Username
    bricklyne

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by kitkatkasick View Post
    Hey all, I found these images on google and was wondering how to render a wireframe using either Vray for Rhino, Flamingo, or Maxwell. I am not sure how to acheive the same effects as these sections. Thanks!
    I don't think those were done in Rhino. From the looks of it, those look like Vector renders done with something like Maya's Vector render engine to produce a vectorial wireframe image.

As for Rhino, I'm not sure if VrayforRhino allows one to use the Vray Edgetext (or Edgetexture) material, but the equivalent material in 3DS Max would be how you would get the same wireframe effect by rendering with Vray in 3DS Max.

In Rhino, your best bet is to use Rhino's Make2D command from whichever viewport or perspective you wish, (typically with the PreserveLayers option on, and if you wish, you can also turn on hidden edges which can then be converted to dashed lines) and then to take the outputted 2D Vector image (outputted to the top view close to the origin by default) into a program like Illustrator to clean-up and get the effect you want.
    2 things though;
    1) Nurbs surfaces don't produce or show the isolines using this command, so you have to manually show them on the surface first using the Curve from isoline command.
    2) It usually works better with Meshes, which show isolines or wireframe lattices by default, so you may either want to convert your Nurbs object into a Mesh first and then Make2D that instead. Assuming the triangulation doesn't become too screwy, that is.

For a tip, it's always nice to overlay the produced vector image over an Occlusion render or Clay render of the same view to get a nice shaded effect.

Oh, one more thing; if you're doing a section wire render, the best thing to do is always to create the profile of the section cut (using create Curves from intersection command between the object and the cutting plane or cutting object) and then to isolate those new curves into a seperate layer which can then be strengthened in Illustrator or AutoCAD using lineweights or a separate color (like in the second image you attached that uses red for the cut faces).

hope this helps.

Name
    Michael Kafasis
    Forum Username
    Mixkaf

Brazil

Thanks a lot for your extensive answer! Will try out the different techniques...

Name
    Seungshik AHN
    Forum Username
    seungshik

South Korea

HI! My name is seungshik.

You can wireframe render with

1) VRay for Rhino
    Use cartoon Shader. Only you apply cartoon material to your model and render it.

2) VRay for 3dsMax
    Use Effect (shortcut "8"). Add VRay Toon.

3)Flamingo
    Render Properties > Wireframe (select)

PS - I guess.. above image didn't created cartoon render. Models are Mesh (Wireframe is not Nurbs UV).. maybe Rendered in 3dsMax. Material editor > shader basic parameter > Wire(select) and render it!

My english is ugly. I hope you can understand my opinion

Veteran Member

Name
    Joel C.
    Forum Username
    SandmanNinja

Australia

Welcome to the forums. Good way to introduce yourself, by helping someone.

Enjoy
    -SandmanNinja has left the building

Name
    Michael Kafasis
    Forum Username
    Mixkaf

Brazil

Sooo...I tried the Make 2d, results are not terrible, lines are broken and it's quite a task.

Vray toon material worked great on the other hand as long as it's associated with a transparent material, but the problem is it still doesn't render the wireframe, just the objects egdes. My goal was to render the wireframe behind the objects too...

But thanks for the help though I'm officially giving up. If I ever really need to do an render like this I will use 3dsmax and vray, which has a render wireframe option, assuming the port from rhino goes well!

Name
    Nick Rozwadowski
    Forum Username
    nickroz

United States

VrayEdgeTex in 3dsMax allows the rear wires to show through (in settings). Make friends with someone that has Max and export.

Name
    Gabriel Friedman
    Forum Username
    gfriedman

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bricklyne View Post
    2) It usually works better with Meshes, which show isolines or wireframe lattices by default, so you may either want to convert your Nurbs object into a Mesh first and then Make2D that instead. Assuming the triangulation doesn't become too screwy, that is.
    Are you sure about that? I have some geometry that I have modeled with mesh geometry but the make2d command won't seem to work with it for some reason. Any reason why that might be?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information