Rendering a Rhino wireframe

kitkatkasick

• 1 month later...

i dunno how to render a true wire frame in vray either but a decent cheat is to use the lattice modifier.. It turns the wire frame of any object into geometry that you can render.. So, make a copy of your object, on of them use the lattice to show the wire frame and with the other object apply a transparent material if you want that kinda ghostly look. Or you just render the latticed object alone, whatever floats your boat.

Edit: Sorry This was the tool on 3ds max that i use, i don't know if Rhino, Flamingo, or Maxwell have similar tools.

Hey all, I found these images on google and was wondering how to render a wireframe using either Vray for Rhino, Flamingo, or Maxwell. I am not sure how to acheive the same effects as these sections. Thanks!

I don't think those were done in Rhino. From the looks of it, those look like Vector renders done with something like Maya's Vector render engine to produce a vectorial wireframe image.

As for Rhino, I'm not sure if VrayforRhino allows one to use the Vray Edgetext (or Edgetexture) material, but the equivalent material in 3DS Max would be how you would get the same wireframe effect by rendering with Vray in 3DS Max.

In Rhino, your best bet is to use Rhino's Make2D command from whichever viewport or perspective you wish, (typically with the PreserveLayers option on, and if you wish, you can also turn on hidden edges which can then be converted to dashed lines) and then to take the outputted 2D Vector image (outputted to the top view close to the origin by default) into a program like Illustrator to clean-up and get the effect you want.

2 things though;

1) Nurbs surfaces don't produce or show the isolines using this command, so you have to manually show them on the surface first using the Curve from isoline command.

2) It usually works better with Meshes, which show isolines or wireframe lattices by default, so you may either want to convert your Nurbs object into a Mesh first and then Make2D that instead. Assuming the triangulation doesn't become too screwy, that is.

For a tip, it's always nice to overlay the produced vector image over an Occlusion render or Clay render of the same view to get a nice shaded effect.

Oh, one more thing; if you're doing a section wire render, the best thing to do is always to create the profile of the section cut (using create Curves from intersection command between the object and the cutting plane or cutting object) and then to isolate those new curves into a seperate layer which can then be strengthened in Illustrator or AutoCAD using lineweights or a separate color (like in the second image you attached that uses red for the cut faces).

hope this helps.

HI! My name is seungshik.

You can wireframe render with

1) VRay for Rhino

Use cartoon Shader. Only you apply cartoon material to your model and render it.

2) VRay for 3dsMax

Use Effect (shortcut "8"). Add VRay Toon.

3)Flamingo

Render Properties > Wireframe (select)

PS - I guess.. above image didn't created cartoon render. Models are Mesh (Wireframe is not Nurbs UV).. maybe Rendered in 3dsMax. Material editor > shader basic parameter > Wire(select) and render it!

My english is ugly. I hope you can understand my opinion

Sooo...I tried the Make 2d, results are not terrible, lines are broken and it's quite a task.

Vray toon material worked great on the other hand as long as it's associated with a transparent material, but the problem is it still doesn't render the wireframe, just the objects egdes. My goal was to render the wireframe behind the objects too...

But thanks for the help though I'm officially giving up. If I ever really need to do an render like this I will use 3dsmax and vray, which has a render wireframe option, assuming the port from rhino goes well!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2) It usually works better with Meshes, which show isolines or wireframe lattices by default, so you may either want to convert your Nurbs object into a Mesh first and then Make2D that instead. Assuming the triangulation doesn't become too screwy, that is.

Are you sure about that? I have some geometry that I have modeled with mesh geometry but the make2d command won't seem to work with it for some reason. Any reason why that might be?

Are you sure about that? I have some geometry that I have modeled with mesh geometry but the make2d command won't seem to work with it for some reason. Any reason why that might be?

I'm assuming you didn't model your mesh geometry in Rhino. In which case you're right, in that it won't work. In any case, you might have to try exploding your geometry and then ungrouping if necessary (and not necessarily in that order), and then possibly exploding again, until you have single mesh faces as opposed to polymesh objects of polygon mesh objects. If the Make2D command still doesn't work, then you will have no other option but to convert your mesh faces to NURBS geometry using the Mesh2Nurb command. Make2D should definitely work with NURBS geometry.

And don't forget that it will spit out the drawing in the plan view or top view as close to the origin as possibly, so if you're looking for it in any other view, you'll also not see it..

Edited by bricklyne

well it was modelled in Rhino, actually Grasshopper to be more specific. I needed it to be a mesh because I was going to use it as a lattice type element which could be created in Max using the lattice modifier or as rails to be piped. Either way I went with a mesh to be explicit about the way my geometry could actually be built but now I've found getting it out to be a painful process.

I was able to extract edges from the mesh and use those lines to do a make 2d but this duplicated alot of geometry and wasn't an ideal route to go with...I love rhino but I still get frustrated getting drawing ready geomtry out of it

well it was modelled in Rhino, actually Grasshopper to be more specific. I needed it to be a mesh because I was going to use it as a lattice type element which could be created in Max using the lattice modifier or as rails to be piped. Either way I went with a mesh to be explicit about the way my geometry could actually be built but now I've found getting it out to be a painful process.

I was able to extract edges from the mesh and use those lines to do a make 2d but this duplicated alot of geometry and wasn't an ideal route to go with...I love rhino but I still get frustrated getting drawing ready geomtry out of it

.....so if I'm understanding you correctly, you're trying to use the Make2D command to extract lines that you can use in MAX with the Lattice modifier? That sounds a little bit like a convoluted process. Why not just imported the generated mesh into Max as an .obj or .3ds format file, and then you can directly clean the mesh up there or use the Lattice modifier directly on it without all the hassle. Why do you even need Make2D at all?

Make2D is really a documentation tool more than anything, and like I already said, if it doesn't work on your mesh, then you have to convert that Mesh into a NURBS object using the Mesh2Nurb command. Alternatively, since you are already generating the geometry in Rhino using GH, just output your object as a BRep (or NURBS object) from Grasshopper and then you don't even have to worry about tessellation or mesh issues. It just sounds like you're taking a lot of unnecessary steps or weird workflow decisions; but since I'm not exactly familiar with what you're trying to achieve, it's hard to say for certain.