Photoshop Tutorials for Architects?

yes - i posted that at 5:30am, so i wasn't all that keen on thinking at the time (i also had a cat on my lap which makes it hard to type).

i bought one of scott CD's a few years ago, and i found it a good all round tutorial for image adjustment and also how to better use photoshop and MAX together.

i'm sure the CS3 version would be comparable.

i wouldn't totally disagree with you there, but the concepts are fairly good even if the work is less polished and professional.

i wouldn't say it is for advanced users - more intermediate.

edit: actually they are much better than a few years ago

Edited by neko

i'll argue to the death that illustrator is better suited to that kind of work (except for CS3 which inexplicably dropped the option NOT TO MERGE AUTOCAD LAYERS !!!!)

i understand that CS4 has restored this very important feature.

dan.

give me a day or so to compose myself (i'm just finishing the school year - exams/projects to mark).

i'd love to start a good discussion on the use of illustrator for architecture (plans/elevations) instead of photoshop. to the best of my knowledge you won't find any tutorials/books on the subject.

i have done loads of work similar to what you have shown, and i still teach it to my students (autodesk impression is also an option).

anyways - don't want to hijack the thread.

Paul, that sounds great!

Sometimes a client simply wants a nice looking plan or elevation and, to that end, Max is just not the way to go to. I can see illustrator being a great tool because of it's vector based graphics, but have yet to see it used for this purpose.

I would love to see a thread started that deals with this and it sounds like you might just be the guy to get it going. Good luck with the exams.

Daniel, the short tutorials that come with Impressions are more than enough to send you on your way producing good elevations quickly. Like I said, it is a very simple program to use. There are also a couple of forums out there that you can sign up for, I think one is run by Autodesk.

In fact a quick browse on Google found this: http://impression.autodesk.com/www.autodesk.com/impression/

There is a discussion about Impression and 64 bit at:

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=6178116

There are responses from the Impression staff at Autodesk and an email address where you can ask specific questions, because they want to know about problems/issues with 64 bit.

Hope this helps. Also, I know they do respond to emails, so give it a go.

I would use photoshop. You begin with clean CAD for easy & quick wand selections, save your masks and there you go. Ultimate control over color, tex, value, etc. Interested in trying the illustrator approach though...

You also seem to want some tutorials. These are hilarious AND you can learn something too.

Scott

• 2 years later...