Importing files from ArchiCAD 12 into 3ds Max Design 2010

PLEA2

I am currently an online interior design and architectural graduate student at the Academy of Arts University in San Francisco and want to take a course in 3D modeling using 3ds Max Design 2009/2010. However, I am concerned that I will have difficulty importing ArchiCAD 12 files -- my BIM of choice. The most recent posts that I have been able to find concern ArchiCAD 11 and 3ds Max File Link Manager. Does the most recent version of 3ds Max Design 2010 make it easier to import ArchiCAD 12 files or is it still a convoluted proposition? PLEA2

We use archicad as our main BIM platform.... after lots of trial and error we've gone the .3ds route using the archicad material replacer, mentioned previously.

Biggest thing to remember however is when you export a .3ds file from Archicad you MUST set your scale such that one unit = 1000mm, then I prefer to export by material. Regardless of if you are using american or metric units in max, that is the export setting for everything to come into max at the right size.

I've found the Archicad import wizard to by faulty sometimes, so I just do a standard import, but I do use the material replacer. It too has it's faults such that it saves an archive in your presets folder of the materials when you setup the preset and if you change a material in your scene afterwards and reuse the preset you will lose the material change.

Also the fact that the install doesn't make a presets folder, and you have to manually go in an create it yourself.

That being said...... if you know all the faults of the plugin, it does make it easier than doing it all from scratch. Typically I can reimport updates from our Archicad models in about 5 minutes once everything is setup.

• 11 months later...

Hi, my first post on here or any forum for that matter so be gentle. I read help forums a lot and when i found this thread I thought i was saved,

see im trying to produce good interior and exterior renders of my Archicad 12 edu version model, when i try to export to 3ds max 2010 the model comes up tiny scale, ive tried the tip on setting the one unit to 1000 when exporting but it has a tiny effect and its still tiny.

That however isnt a major issue i just scale the model up in 3ds, the real problem is materials, ive applied a load of them in archicad and in 3ds they just come out as base colour, no textures.

Ive played around with the export options but carnt find a way to

A. export to the right scale

B. Export the model in such a way that materials are saved and can be rendered in max.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.