Thread: C4 XL V7 render tips

Name
    Stephen Leworthy
    Forum Username
    STRAT

Wales

Exclamation

hello there.

just a few tips for rendering archi stuff in cinema. i got loads more, and if you have any, then just keep adding to this post :

Radiosity/gi - Radiosity engine in C4 is the fastest currently on the market, but obviously the higher the settings the longer the render times. For arch rendering never use a diffuse depth of greater than 1. this is the natural setting. Always use as higher accuracy as possible. personally i use 100%, but if ur pc no that good then anything over 75% should suffice. pre-pass size - i use 2 for final rendering. Stochastic samples - atleast 300. i use 500+ (even that sometimes shows artifacts). Min. samples - a value of 20-30 should be optimal for most scenes. max samples - high as poss. i use 100+. For better radiosity rendering us stochastic mode, again samples to 300+ and diffuse to 1. Stochmode takes longer to render but gives a true, more accurate render.

When set the rendering in motion close down the scene from the mem buffer. just saves extra speed.

the Radiosity strength should ALWAYS be set at 100%. to adjust the strength use either render tags or illumination settings in the material editor. render tags can force objects to render with radiosity or not, at whatever percentage you choose. the illumination controls in the mat. editor controls individual material gi settings.
    And remember, things that dont need gi too much, like tree leaves, scattered grass etc.. turn the gi transmit button to OFF, else long un-needed render times will be there.

Stick to normal simple materials if you can. proceedurals and SLA take allot more processing than normal materials.

minimise the render window when rendering and dont continue editing or multi tasking durring rendering. all slows the process down.

dont bother trying caustics - in the main archi renders dont use caustics. not needed and not noticed.

HDRI - personally i think this is just a tarty buzz word ppl are using and imho definately not needed. anyway, so easy to fake.

But my main tip (as i stated) is the render tags. - render tags are found by right-clicking on an object. these control display properties of individual objects. GI levels, raytraced levels etc... are controlled here and a shed load of render time can be saved using these render tags.

enough for now, but i'll add to the list when i can think of some more.

Name
    Stefan Boeykens
    Forum Username
    stefkeB

Belgium

Lightbulb

For animation, you do have the option of calculation one solution for the whole animation. This doesn't give flickering. Very usable (as long as the lighting doesn't change in between, but that hardly ever happens in Archi walkthroughs).
    --- Stefan Boeykens (aka stefkeB) ---
    ArchiCAD 17 - Cinema4D 15 - Revit 2014 - Rhino 5 - Unity 4 - SketchUp 2013
    rMBPro 15" (Mountain Lion + Windows 7)

Read my book on Unity for Architectural Visualization: http://bit.ly/17u87df

Name
    Stephen Leworthy
    Forum Username
    STRAT

Wales

stefkeB - most true, to get it to work you need the single radiosity solution with extreamly stable lighting, ei - static, constant lighting all through the amin.

Name
    Cesar Rullier
    Forum Username
    Cesar R

United States

Default Re: C4 XL V7 render tips

hey strat im bringing a dinosaur back to live here !! - are you still using C4d?
    Surface Pro / Xeon E5 Workstation + GTX660ti / GTX640 GPU : Revit / Rhino / 3dsmax
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MK6 GTI - Candy White.

Name
    Stephen Leworthy
    Forum Username
    STRAT

Wales

this old dinosaur!

yup, still use it.

Name
    DAN HOPPER
    Forum Username
    DAN212222

United Kingdom

how do you close down the scene in the memory buffer?

cheers

Name
    Robin Nadela
    Forum Username
    erona

Philippines

great tips there strat, wish i knew about this before...
    Quote Originally Posted by DAN212222
    how do you close down the scene in the memory buffer?
    cheers
    i was about to ask the same
    "Remember... when everyone pushes to your knees, you're in the perfect position to pray."

Name
    Stephen Leworthy
    Forum Username
    STRAT

Wales

well a usefull memory tip is to get your scene ready to render, save it, then close it. then in a new empty scene just batch render your image.

Name
    Robin Nadela
    Forum Username
    erona

Philippines

a bit OT:

with the settings you posted above, how long does it take for your exterior renderings to finish on an average?

thanks
    "Remember... when everyone pushes to your knees, you're in the perfect position to pray."

Name
    Stephen Leworthy
    Forum Username
    STRAT

Wales

pretty fast, only i render differently these days to go even faster.

Closed Thread

Thread Information