British Museum: Great Court

The Great Court at the British Museum by Norman Foster

I modelled the roof for this as an exercise a while ago but never went any further with it so I've decided to start a WIP to try and keep myself motivated. :)

Still early days but I've got some better reference images now than I had previously so I really want to see how far I can take it. I just think it's such a great space and apart from getting some nice renders I'd like to maybe try and do a time lapse animation with an animated HDR sky map I got hold of from Paul Debevec's site.

Anyway, this is where I'm at now so I'll just keep posting updates as I go!

Stef

Thanks for the support everyone.

ambitious project man, but if you go a head i think you could have some nice renders, keep it up.

Are you modeling based on CAD or by eye ??

I don't have any cad, just some fairly low-res scans from a book. The sections are fine but the floor plans aren't up to much so just cross referencing with photos etc.

How did you do the roof? It looks great and I wouldn't know where to begin.

I thought that would be one of the first questions! ;) Luckily I had a plan of the roof from the same book to start me off. The first part was quite tedious, I traced all the lines then used shapemerge to transfer these onto a plane.

I had a vague recollection from uni that the architect Antoni Gaudi used to model his structures upside down using strings and weights to represent point loads etc, so I figured a similar principle might work with this structure.

I fixed the vertices around the edge and the circle and used a combination of a cloth simulation and a relax modifier to allow the form to sag naturally. Then I simply inverted it. :)

I had a vague recollection from uni that the architect Antoni Gaudi used to model his structures upside down using strings and weights to represent point loads etc, so I figured a similar principle might work with this structure.

I fixed the vertices around the edge and the circle and used a combination of a cloth simulation and a relax modifier to allow the form to sag naturally. Then I simply inverted it. :)

Excellent solution, way to think!

Had a bit of time to spend on this today but as usual was too impatient to finish the modelling first before getting to work on some materials. :rolleyes:

Here's a couple of test renders. Got the drum a bit more developed and after spending forever trying to figure out how to wrap or bend the text eventually realised it was much simpler to go with displacement. :)

Loads more to do but moving along nicely I think.

I had a vague recollection from uni that the architect Antoni Gaudi used to model his structures upside down using strings and weights to represent point loads etcQUOTE]

This is an amazing piece of mathematics/engineering. If you go into the basement of the Sagrada Famillia (spellin?) there is a string model of the structure up-side down, with little sandbags all over the place. As a stanbd alone piece, its just as impressive as the building itself.