updating the CPU for my ASUS p5W DH Deluxe

Hello:

My question is. Can i upgrade only the CPU for a quad core version?

My MB specification say:

LGA775 socket for Intel® Pentium 4/Celeron CPU

Support Inte Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition & Intel Pentium® D Processor

Support Intel 65nm, Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme

Support Intel next generation Mulit-Core CPU

Compatible with Intel 05B/ 05A and 04B/04A processors

Intel EM64T and Hyper-Threading Technology ready

I currently have a core 2 duo E6600 (2x2400 Ghz) and i would like to upgrade to some of the "yorkfield" series.

Intel® Core™2 Quad Prozessor Q8400

to

Intel® Procesador Core™ 2 Quad Q9650

Any thoughts would be apreciated,

Thank you

Yes. A P5W DH is a 975 board and can run Core 2 series CPUs up to Q9650.

However, there are a lot of BIOSes floating around for it. Follow Asus's instructions to upgrade to the newest BIOS before removing the old CPU, and verify with their documentation that the BIOS supports the CPU you want to use. Also, make sure you have a good enough power supply. (The P5W has a very robust 8-phase circuit for supplying power to the CPU but compare the rated power usage of your old and new CPUs and make sure the watts and amps from your case power supply are sufficient.)

• 2 weeks later...

Also check the manufacturer's official support list for processors. The 35 series were the first chipsets to officially support the 45nm quads. Anything older, including the 975 and 965, might have out-of-spec support but it helps to check for certain.

e.g. My Gigabyte 965-DS3 only supported 45m quads with revision model 2.0. Because mine was a 1.3 I had to go for a 65nm model.

If yours can't take 45nm (the Q8000 and Q9000 series) quads then you can still get the Q6600 (65nm) for good and cheap.

**edit** just checked really quick. Asus lists that board as having optional support for 45nm and to check their FAQ which reads:

"Due to chipset limitation, i975X chipset is not able to support all the features of 45nm CPU. The following is a list of the limitations:

1. VT function does not work.

2. The maximum FSB is capped at 1066MHz.

3. 0.5 CPU multiplier is not supported.

4. L2 cache size is not recognized correctly. However L2 cache is still functioning."

Hope that helps.

Edited by Valtiel

• 2 weeks later...