Nice rendering technique - how was it done?

angelo

These are more then likely hand drawn people that are simply mapped to a plane, or outline that is made to always face the camera. It is fairly straight forward, meaning, simple to set up.

Then they are simply positioned manually around the scene depending on the context. In this case, these are definitely rendered into the image.

As a side, always plan on post processing your image. Always. It is nearly impossible to render a perfect image straight out, and often you can save a great deal of time by realizing what is faster done in post process than rendering process.

Edited by Crazy Homeless Guy

Travis,

Thanks for the rendering of the people insight. It's hard to tell from the small images, but there is a subtle "SketchUp" feel to edges and some of the materials. The end result is nice natural lighting combined with a very slight NPR look.

I'm not sure if that can really be obtained from post processing (without looking like the entire image was run through a Photoshop filter).

Thoughts?

Angelo

I've done something like this by combining a regular render, with a finalToon line render in Photoshop. I usually set the line layer to multiply, and then play with the opacity to make it barely visible.

I'll try to dig up some images when I get home.

These are sketchup people straight from the library (with colour removed).

Its a bit sad that I recognize them!:rolleyes:

Maybe they've exported them in shaded mode (no textures) and added transparency in their renderer?

Marco,

Thanks for sharing! Nice technique. Does FinalToon provide control over line types? Is there anyway to emphasize depth with the linework?

Have you attempted to do an animation with FinalToon? I'm wondering what the workflow would be, considering you are combining two renderings...

It would be very handy to use this technique early in the design process and focus more on presenting the design (and lighting) vs. tweaking texture maps.

Angelo

Yes finalToon has a lot of options that let you control the lines in different way. You can achieve some very nice effects with a little practice.

Check: http://cebas.com/products/products.php?UD=10-7888-33-788&PID=37

I've never done much animation with this, and to be honest there are cases where fToon decides to skip lines so it would probably require a bit of post work to get it to work right.

I always use fToon on the early stages, I find that clients can better understand what they are seeing if I add a few lines over the render. Sometimes I take them out as the render gets more detail, some time I leave them and take a more illustration-like path.

I used to do a similar effect for other purposes, but it could be easily adapted. All I used to do was get a photograph of a person and in Illustrator using a stylus I would draw the outlines in, etc.

So for 3D you just save out your work and create an alpha channel. Then it's just putting them in as flat faces in the scene that look at the camera, as was suggested earlier in the thread.

I've got the sneaking suspicion that's actually a Sketchup job. I used to do stuff like that in an interiors firm by dumping the Sketchup file to 3DS then doing some sort of Max render with the same cameras and comping it together with linework output from Sketchup. There's also a certain something about that geometry and the 2D people.

I've got the sneaking suspicion that's actually a Sketchup job. I used to do stuff like that in an interiors firm by dumping the Sketchup file to 3DS then doing some sort of Max render with the same cameras and comping it together with linework output from Sketchup. There's also a certain something about that geometry and the 2D people.

+1

we do the same thing in our firm by exporting the sketchup file and applying materials and lighting inside of max... you get the same feel with the npc peeps... add some ink and paint overtop with falloff map and some photoshop and you can get something very close to this.