Using Vue 7.5 with max and vray for architectural visualizations

tayrona

Somebody in our studio is proposing to use vue 7.5 as an aditional tool for architectural visualizations. I have seen the e-onsoftware page and I understand that software is compatible with max/v-ray. the promotional video looks as it works GREAT.. however, reading chaos forums, there are a lot of users who hate vue.. any comment??

I could tell you my experiences with Vue and the reasons I never will use it again in this life, but I swore myself not to put any energy in it again, so I suggest you read this thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=162&t=782951&highlight=vue+xstream) which should give a good overview in how people think about this...

I invested in VRayScatter, GroundWiz and soon Forest Pro too to get equal possibilities !

Edited by Trick

Trick, is there a reason for using Forest Pro when also using vrayscatter? Doesn't taking a vray tree proxy and scattering it all over take care of that?

Just curious because I have vrayscatter and groundwiz, but haven't gotten Forest Pro yet.

I could tell you my experiences with Vue and the reasons I never will use it again in this life, but I swore myself not to put any energy in it again, so I suggest you read this thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=162&t=782951&highlight=vue+xstream) which should give a good overview in how people think about this...

I invested in VRayScatter, GroundWiz and soon Forest Pro too to get equal possibilities !

Thanks Trick.. I see a lot of comments there, people using older versions, different softwares, and they are not all arch visualizers (game developers, 3d artists and so on). lot of lovers, lot of enemies.. maybe more enemies..

Trick, is there a reason for using Forest Pro when also using vrayscatter? ...

Since you use VRayScatter and GroundWiz (as I do) you probably already know what are the strong/weak points in both of them. The only big weak point in GroundWiz is that the number of (large) VRay proxies is limited to something like 100K. After that loading times for all the proxies can get fairly long, especially if you do a lot of F9's. With VRayScatter and Forest Pro this is a non-issue. With VRayScatter though, you have a limited freedom to place single instances and spraying around (like in GroundWiz) instances from a library is completely out of the question. Forest Pro has better tools/options for this and there also is a new feature coming that makes it possible to automatically fill parking lots with cars and stadiums with people. I do a lot of images/animations that use lots and lots of small to huge proxies (cars, people, trees, bushes, stones, etc) and until now VRayScatter and GroundWiz helped a lot: Forest Pro will hopefully add to that, but I'm still waiting for the final touches. The only thing missing then is a tool the make endless grassfields...

Count me as one who will never use Vue again until they can demonstrate that it works flawlessly with my render engine and can handle imported geometry correctly. The last time I tried to use it just getting the model into the environment was a big hassle because the scale of the environment is not 1:1 so everything was thrown out of wack. Since it didn't work directly with Vray I thought that at least I could render out the environment and composite it into my building footage. That didn't work either because the camera was at a different scale so none of my exported camera data from Max would match up. In the end all I could do with it was export sky maps and some tree models so it was really useless. I also hate the camera animation controls they have it's just not intuitive. Also having to buy extra render cow licenses to use on a farm is beyond stupid and since you only get 5 to begin with you almost have to buy more. Maybe newer versions have fixed these problems but I'd be absolutely sure before spending any money on it.

Hi

i work with XSI & 3dsmax, the export/import of a camera works very good, no problems. I can use a physical mental ray Camera to exposure the vue environment. But you have right, the lizens managment is not good. I give many stone on the way, but when you learn it, is Vue a very good environment generator and i think for vray too.

mfg

hot chip