pc configuration with i7 920

hi there,

i want to configurate a new workstation. the last one i buyed was my first certified one, a dell precision T7400 for 2750 euro.

my new one should be cheaper, therefore i want to assembly it on my own again.

Proc: INTEL CORE i7 920

Mobo: Asus P6T or Gigabyte GA EX58 EXTREME

Ram: Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 (8GB)

Gfx-card: Directx Gamer card, which is able to perform 3dsmax scenes with a lot of polafgons(20 Millions poly`s and more)actualy have quadro fx 4600

HD: ?

price: max 1000 -1200 Euro

1.)before i bought the dell i always choosed the components from benchmark lists and then my local computer dealer assemblied the machiene.

i often had problems with bluescreens, and crashes and never really knew what was the reason for this.

how can i confgurate hardware components that "fit" to each other, to avoid hardware conflicts?, for example, what do i have to look for to find ram for my manboard?

2.)i heared that the i7 is getting quite hot, especially with OC, which cooler should i buy(no liquid!)

Max: You can't really "fit" items to each other. The best you can do is Google each item looking for information on its reliability and especially the manufacturer's driver support instead of benchmarks.

I should think you'd be fine with the Asus MB, Intel chip, Corsair ram (use Windows 64-bit) and go for a video card from a well established manufacturer like EVGA or XFX, a good power supply and I've found the Sony SATA DVD burner very good.

Don't try to be too ambitious with the overclocking!

thanks for your replies, checked your advices and googeled a lot.

intend to purchase this configuration:

Mainboard: asus P6T deluxe v2 (not v1!) 225 Euro

Processor : Intel Core i7 920 Processor (2.66 GHz, 4.8 GT/s, 8MB L3 cache) 245 Euro

Memory: Corsair 12GB DDR3-1333MHz CL 9 , 2xTripple channel ram with low latency

Graphics Controller: Asus GF 285 GTX, ca 280 Euro or Asus GF 275 GTX, ca 185 Euro

Hard Drive: EFast HD/80GB for programs, another one/1TB for Data

Western Digital VelociRaptor 74GB, SATA II, ca 110 Euro

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1000GB, SATA II (ST31000333AS)

7200rpm • 32MB Cache • 8.9ms • Datenrate (lt. Hersteller): 115MB/s, ca 75 euro

Power Supply: Have a Enermax infinity 720 Watt (3 years old but never used)

u can pre-order Windows 7 x64 for half the price now..

i remember reading there were issues with the Barracuda 7200.11..

the VelociRaptor has lost its reason to live.. for twice that amount u can get a pimpin' INTEL SSD X25-M 80GB MLC (G2)..

18641.png

18643.png

weeeeeeeeeeeeee! look at him go! lol

:cool:

which family of the new GE GTX cards is worth the buy. The GTX 295 seems to be way above the price i can afford. The reviews got me totally confused as to which card to go for. Should i bundle 2 lower end cards or should i go for the one mentioned above. I occasionally play games like counter strike etc over the internet, and mostly want to buy the card for my 3d apps. Would such a heavy priced card help????. pls help

this is what i have come up with........ can i add or remove something from the above, or maybe replace it completely. Rest of the stuff i will shift from my older pc, so no mention of monitors etc.

Processor:

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 8M LGA1366 Quad-Core Processor

Mother board :

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Graphics card :

eVGA 512-P3-E976-AR e-GeForce 9800GT Superclocked Graphics Card

Memory (RAM) :

OCZ Gold Edition 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Triple Channel Kit

External Hard Disk

500 GB+ hard disk..... seagate make maybe... still looking for options

I want to make this atleast 12gb...... still searching for something i can get in INDIA... grrrrrrr

i did realize that once u wrote it :).......... I would be using windows xp 64 as os... i hope it is good at handling ram above 6gb?.......

yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_editions

Advantages

The primary benefit of moving to 64-bit is the increase in the maximum allocatable system memory (RAM). A single process on a 32-bit Windows operating system is limited to a total of 3.25 gigabytes. Windows XP x64 can support much more memory; although the theoretical memory limit a 64-bit computer can address is about 16 exabytes, Windows XP x64 is limited to 128 GB of physical memory and 8 terabytes of virtual memory per process.

I wouldnt spend too much on a graphics card as the next generation cards will be released in a few months anyway. If youre not interested in being at the cutting edge then I would prob get something like a 260/280 now depending on your budget. If youre a bit of a games player in your spare time then I dont think a 9800 will cut the mustard for much longer.

games person... hmmmmm lets see.... just got back to playing counter strike after like 2 years.... That is the only game i keep coming back to that is all.... I have a primate GE Force 3 which does the job well till date. I dont think they will be changing this game soon :)... been at it for almost like 10 years now. off and on...... so i guess i will go for the 9800 and spike up the ram to 12 gb for my system. Money is limited :(