Some free scripts for 3dsmax

Jan

We have made some scripts to help in the daily work. Some are new, some are old ones and now updated.

For example, there are an utility to make it easier to move scenes from a rendering engine to another. Some work have to be done in terms of materials or types of engines, but it will progress step by step. In the following table you can appreciate the possibilities of the script at this moment:

tabla_en.jpg

And the dialog:

conversor_en_web.jpg

(help file included with the script)

You can download the scripts here: http://www.motivacg.com/descargas_en.php

Regards

PD: link corrected. Thanks Trick

Edited by Jan

Nice work. I've been working on something like this myself... I know how daunting it can be to go from one material kind to another. Some types can have a scary amount of properties.

You are right, and it's more than this, for example the Fresnel implementation varies from one to another, so I have to introduce "correction factors" to do the conversion more exact.

quizzy: What's the difference between Brazil R/S and Brazil Rio?

You are right, and it's more than this, for example the Fresnel implementation varies from one to another, so I have to introduce "correction factors" to do the conversion more exact.

Yup...same here. On my approach I actually transform all materials to an in-between "generic" material data structure, so that I can "easily" add new materials and avoid having one conversion function per every pair of materials.... I have to say it sounded a lot easier when I planned it however :D.

AFAIK Rio is the free "feature limited" version of brazil.

Alejandro, I think you're maybe the best hope for somebody to write a mentall mill shader export for vray. This is not related to mental ray. its a very powerfull shader creator and then writes to the specified render engine, except for vray as there is no convector.

look at their site. and Mental mill artists edition comes standard with max 2010

http://www.mentalimages.com/products/mental-mill.html

quizzy: What's the difference between Brazil R/S and Brazil Rio?

There are a few limitations in brazil rio. Like the maximum resolution of the rendered image is 1024x511. Network rendering is disabled. And files created in the commercial package can not be changed and then saved in brazil rio. Everything else works like it does in the commercial version.

Koper-> I think that you overestimate my skills. I'm far from do something like this, since implies plugin programation with depth knowledge of max2010 viewports and it's use of directx. Vlado said some time ago that vray will be mentall mill compatible in the future, but it's not an easy way:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=392697&postcount=24

Sorry for the bad news.

quizzy-> if the materials and the maxscript implementation are the same in Rio than in R/S version, should be possible incorporate brazil to the converter. I should first get familiar with brazil materials and the engine itself.

Regards

• 4 months later...

Hi

bevor Chaos Group can programming the Plugin, must Chaos Group pay money to mental images for license to use mental mill. The next Problem is, when we mental ray User programming a new Shader, must Vray update the Render Engine again, because Vlado can´t know how i set my variables. The Standard language at the future is METASL and all other Render Engines must pay a lot of money to mental images. That is very funny.

mfg

hot chip

Edited by thorsten hartmann

Jan,

This plugin is great since i'm switching from vray to mental ray. This makes the file conversion process a lot easier.:D

I do however have 3 request and hopefully you can find some time to look into it.

Could you make vray ies lights convert into regular photometric ies lights?

Also add the ability to covert vray blend materials into a composite material or something of that nature.

and lastly to make vraylight materials self illuminating arch and design materials.

Please keep up the great work. ;)