Organizing the model.

Hector

Hello:

I'm new to Lightwave. I'm creating a complex architectural model. I don't find a logic way to organize all the elements within the model. By example:

Say that I have a door within the model, I would like to have the door itself plus the frame and the door lock all within a single entity that I could move around the model without having to select all points or polygons.

I would like to edit that entity anytime to make changes. I'd like to have copies of that entity anytime I need a door.

I would like to have entities within entities. So that have the "room" entity which contains the door "entity" and the window entity and so on.

How can I achieve that, or anything similar?

At the moment I am using only layers. But if I need a layer for every single element in the model without the posibility of "grouping" them in some way I will end up with hundreds of layers.

Then, when I send the model to Layout, the content of each layer is not linked to other parts of the model, so if I move the wall, the door will remain in the samy place, do you know what I mean??

Another issue is size. If I create a cube of 1x1x1m and I come back after two hours of work and want to change the size to 2x2x2 where can I type the new size?

I am shure I am missing something here.

Thanks

Hector

Hi,

by layer, elements must be in the layer to be moved as a group, or you can set up selection groups a.k.a "Parts" refer to the manual (27.24) Groupings/Polygon Parts for more information.

Regarding the cube, unfortunately LW Modeler is not history driven therefore you will need to re-scale the cube by a factor of 2, or re-do the cube. After a cube is done LW Modeler forgets that you did a cube; this is a weak design limitation.

When we work with LW for large arch jobs, we have layers such as doors, concrete, slabs, window frame, glass; etc? doors will have all elements within the layer.

David

Hi too,

as David mentioned correct you have to organize your elements different in LW. If you have repeating elements, like a facade element, which maybe later changed its a good idea to modell this as one object and clone it in layout. So whenever you have to change it the clones change automaticly too. Since LW is not object oriented nor has it cell libraries this is the only way how it works.

Additionally take care to build your modell of several objects, and not of one only. So its easier to change parts and you dont have to open the complete object, and its more safe.

But if you want to work the way you explained it above it might be a good option to buy FormZ (like me), this does all you want and has a good LW export.

HTH

ingo

Thanks for your help ! it seems that I have to get use the way lightwave works !.

I have two more questions:

1.-If I have several objects in a layer, is it possible to apply a different texture to each?

2.-When I send model to layout (a building that is about 80 x 80 m) the icons of camera and light are bigger than the building !!.

Is it possible to reduce the icon size so that I can place several lights without visualy cluttering the space?. Also if I vary the zoom factor in the camera to get closer there is a point where you can no longer see the model it just disapear (in camera view) it still renders but its dificult to set the level of zoom you want if you don't see the building.

Thanks !!

Hector

Hi Hector,

first, you can add textures to every polygon you want, it doesn't rely on layers. Its kind of like a second hierarchy. And you can select by texture too.

For the second one open the display preferences, or type d, and resize the grid, that resizes the light and camera icons too.

HTH

Yep as said use textures as a second layer of hierachy. Typically I model all doors on one layer, and on that layer as well as the base door material things like glazing pannels (if any), handles and frames will also appear, sepperated by different texture names.

If you want to create a parent/child relationship between layers, you can do this in Modeler in the Layer pannel, or do it later in Layout.

As also stated the camera and light icons are automaticcaly scalled to be in proportion to the grid.

If you use the left and right bracket keys they will scale the size of the grid, (with the knock on effect of scaling the icons), either up or down.