can i run max on a virtual server running windows server 2003

Dave Buckley

I'll ask a noob question - what do you mean by Virtual Server?

Is this what you are referring to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server

A virtual private server (VPS, also referred to as Virtual Dedicated Server or VDS) is a method of partitioning a physical server computer into multiple servers such that each has the appearance and capabilities of running on its own dedicated machine. Each virtual server can run its own full-fledged operating system, and each server can be independently rebooted.

There are two kinds of virtualizations: software based and hardware based. I suppose that on a machine that is dedicated CPU time and resources to manipulating the software aspect of the environment, then if you were to introduce a resource hungry application (i.e. 3ds), there would be a performance hit somewhere. The server resources would be 'protected' by running at a higher (the highest) priority, with 3ds running at normal or below normal priority.

I can answer half the question....

I have an installs of max running on some IBM blade servers installed with server 2003 without any problem.

The server is a dual quad, It clocks out renderings about a minute slower (on a 20 minute render) than my dual quado lenovo D10. So it's a touch slower but nothing to complain about.

Edited by BrianKitts