Evermotion plants and trees

Shane Gee

I wonder if anyone has had the same problem, I have purchased Evermotion Archmodels 52,58, and 63 trees and hedges and they kill render times.

I have place 10 simple trees around a park area in a housing development busy working on and the render without the trees increases from 2 hrs to over 48hrs. No setting changes just added the trees to the scene.

I have some pretty strong render PC's dual quad core processor with enough RAM (16GB) the trees are all Vray proxied. Also I chose the smallest trees in the library not the 100MB tree but the 10mb tree.

I have tried these plants in other projects and they all render too long. In the past I have ended up leaving them out and photoshoping trees in.

The problem now is I have a large animation with loads of trees needed.

My question is has anyone ever used these trees successfully? If so am I missing a trick? Or have I wasted a load of money?

there are soooo many tricks you can do, where to start is the question :)

Select all your greens (trees) and smaller objects that doesn't need to add GI, then right click and open the vray properties, un-check "generate GI".

You can do this with displacement objects as well.

then the next step would be to set up you vray memory usage but the best way to describe this for you is to watch the video tutorial from 3DAS - Week 25 – An In-Depth Look at the V-Ray Proxy

http://www.cgarchitect.com/upclose/VI/default.asp

It's by far one of the best tuts I have ever seen, and will work 110% for you. and its FREE

you also need the codec to whatch it

...Select all your greens (trees) and smaller objects that doesn't need to add GI, then right click and open the vray properties, un-check "generate GI".

You can do this with displacement objects as well...

Thx AdriaaN... great tip, I wouldn't have thought of that...

take a look at their materials and make them simpler .... most of them have transparency and their bump maps are at 0 filtering or so, make them a basic material and see the render times ... Also are you increasing your dynamic limit in the vray settings from the default 400 mb?

take a look at their materials and make them simpler .... most of them have transparency and their bump maps are at 0 filtering or so, make them a basic material and see the render times ... Also are you increasing your dynamic limit in the vray settings from the default 400 mb?

I second what Maria is suggesting, I've had lots of problems with vray materials from evermotion models in the past from slow rendering times to max crashes, the culprit was the transparency and bump in some materials so I ended recreating those materials from scratch and my problems were gone.

Maybe you souhld try with Onyx trees :)

I dont think is a solution if he has already paid for evermotion libraries. he should go with checking materials as kippu suggested and trying v-ray proxys.

IMO: Onyx tree storm will be hard to start with.. (installing new plugin, customize new trees and depending upon max version, fighting with compatibility).

• 2 months later...

tayrona is right. If he has paid for something, he can use them.

Just simply attach all of tree mesh in a single 1. I mean, all leaves, trunk etc into a single mesh. Dont save them in the original file. Make it vray proxy and thats it. Place instances with a little bit transform variations. it will decrease your render time. Try to increase CPU and ram, and if you cannot, manage the RAM from vray from static to dynamic.

had the same problem once.

2 primary suspects are:

displacement maps

Fresnel reflection

check tree materials for displacements and for fresnel reflections... turn them off.

if that doesnt help, check for index of reflection and set it to 1.

also check if the opacity/refraction maps are correctly setup.

and finally, use the vray proxy.

the common problem are the opacity maps, it usually contributes to long render times....

you can get away with using opacity maps, just be sure to turn off the bitmap filtering on the opacity map.

Adrian's GI tip is the best of the lot that have been mentioned, and the vray proxy is a must. Just be sure to crank up your dynamic memory limit for the amount of proxies you use in your scene. With the RAM count you have in your system there's no reason why you can't turn the dynamic memory up to 3 gigs or so to ensure that it's not the cause of the problem.

• 1 year later...

I read this thread and u all guys gave great examples.I have another q realted to this issue and i think it will be a chalange.I have had the evermotion trees and i was wondering if it is posible to animate them leaves to move in an animation.I heard that the Treestorm plugin works for the onyx trees (which i never used) and this slow movement on the branches and the leaves simply ROCKS.So my question is " Is there any plug in that works for animating evermotion trees for animation purpose?Ty in advance.

Open the textures of the plants and turn off the reflection and refraction of the leaves. Also make sure you turn the bump maps off (unless close to the camera)

Try exporting them as and reloading them in the scene as vray proxies.

Like someone said above, turning off generate GI is a good idea. Also turn on the image proxy system under File - Asset Tracking, to reduce the size of your scene texture (by 50% or whatever you want)

finally, have a look at the materials in the scene and make sure they are ALL vray materials. as standard materials can kill renders

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...