Interior Office Meeting Room MAX + MR

Glenb

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've been playing about with MAX and MR for a few months now. Finding it frustrating at not being able to produce the realsim I see on here. This is kind of where I'm at at the moment. Settings are relatively low. Using sunlight system with skylights and photometrics, Low FG, GI. Any advice on what is working and what I should change would be very welcome.

Hello Glenb,

Im my opinion, it's a pretty good start. I don't know much about mental ray (I'm a vray user), so I'm not able to give you any technical hint. But I can tell you that maybe you should bring some life to this room, because it doesn't seem to be used. I mean adding a plant feature as you suggested, some blinds, clean cabinets. Lightwise, I would suggest you to keep in mind that you need one predominant source: sky/sun or artificial lighting. This way you'll get better shadows, more realism and some 'drama' as well. Keep on, I would like to see the progress!

Cheers!

Nice image, its a well lit scene. I too am a vray user so I can't give you much technical feedback. Some points I would consider however:

- you have some lighting issues on the ceiling bulkhead, maybe reduce the intensity of the recessed lighting and up the spotlights?

- the telly material looks good, but maybe switch the tv on, add a image with some emssive qualities

- maybe add some carefully chosen props.... a file, a pen & cup of coffee.

I do like the scene however it just needs a lil bit more interest, i'll watch out for updates :)

i have some problem need frens help.. may i know how to post new thread?

go into the forum page you want to post in. above the list of posts is a "post new thread" button. let me know if you still can't find it.

I think the image is looking great. The only thing for me to add is that I think that considering the room is pretty well lit by natural light I don't think the artificial light would be that strong in comparison. The strip lights hidden under the soffit especially are way too strong and I think that might be why you have light leaks/artefacts on the underside above the tv.

• 2 weeks later...

No problem. I arrived at these settings from reading lots of material and viewing as many tutorails as possible. In my opinion the settings can change a lot depending on the type of scene you're doing and critically the number of light sources you have. The work's unfinished but here's what the settings are so far. FG set to medium with 3 bounces, GI enabled with photons set at 500, pixel sample quality set at 4 & 16, box filter, MR Photographic Exposure Control preset to Physically Based Lighting, Indoor Daylight, with the sunlight set to MR Sun & Mr Sky. These are just the basic rendering settings and takes just over 30 minutes on an Intel Xeon 3.00Ghz with Quadro FX4600.

Conversely, perhaps anyone reading these settings can give me some pointers on what might improve things when I do the final render?! I still need to post another in-progress render but my work duties have taken temporary priority!

I'm not an expert but read here couple couple of times that you dont need bounces with GI.

Sory to be detailed but could you tell me what values you used for Max num. phototons per sample and Avrege GI photons per light?

I always struggle with that thing....

I know that having extra bounces in the slot were ignored when GI was enabled, but I never realized that it added to the render time also.

i'm almost certain that it still calculates the bounces but doesn't use them.

I'm not too sure where else to go from here...

your GI could be tighter. screengrab your settings? looks good though.

Thanks Glen, I noticed your Max sampling radius in GI is unchecked.

Is it for any particular resoson? Does anyone know is it better to leave it like that or type your own thing? For interiors like that I usally iuse 50cm but not sure if thats good...

Ok, so I tried mucking around with the max sampling radius and all I could get were varying degrees of lighting which I didn't really think added anything to the realism. I read a few things on this and from what I gather it's a memory saving feature so you can overlap photons?...please correct me if I've misunderstood this! Anyway, using my original settings I've done a couple more visuals, one daytime and one evening. Also, I tried modelling a Palm which I've put into this scene. It might not quite belong in here but any comments on this would be great too! I guess I will probably leave it at that for this scene and see what else I can learn on a new one.

A really good job! Something which stood out straight away was that the chairs in particular look as if they are floating. Perhaps a nice ambient occlusion parse is in order. You can then composite in photoshop. This will bring out those finer shadows and make objects look planted to the ground.

Great Work!