back to school (refining an old project)....

I don't know about everyone else here, but it's been a really long time since I had an archviz project to work on (i've been getting jobs for graphic / web design, thankfully...), so I decided to go back and refine my final project from undergrad. I figured I'd post my progress here and see where it takes me; I'm sure everyone here will be very helpful. It's still very early in development, but fire away anyhow.

To elaborate a little bit about the project; I had designed a system of fabric louvers (the purple vertical stripes) that can twist to allow more or less light into the residential spaces above. The facade itself consists of butted glass secured with spider joints. The area below is commercial space.

Altough darker, the second image is much better IMO.

Ultimately you could settle with a lighting between these two images, so the image is not that underexposed, altough it is looking pretty good in my opinion (really dig daylight images with proper dark sky).

The tile texture is breaking up and losing continuity on the top of the left curved wall. The facade glass could use some reflection from the surroundings. This will tell more about the location of your project (is there a mountain or forest nearby? Or some tall skyscrapers?), and bring more interest to the image and facade itself, additionally highlighting the glass more.

The shops in the ground floors need some more care in terms of texturing. The textures are stretched at the moment and pixelated, thus making them look like textures. Take care when having shops in the foreground, a texture with the wrong perspective will immiedietaly give away that it is textured.

Instead, model the interior of the shops, the ones that are closest and at an angle to the camera. Especially that there is no time limit on this one, youre just making this in your spare time.

Adding people will bring this image so much more to life in terms of composition, scale and interest.

Be sure use a better AA sampler to stop the grouts from breaking up in places. If the side wall material is allucobond (looks like it) it could use some hightlights and some glossy reflections.

Looking forward for some updates :)

Edited by Horhe

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if you know of a better way to work out that spot to the upper left part of the image where the texture loses it's continuity. The surface is a continuous surface, but the texture always jogs at the point on the fillet. I have a box projection UV map applied to it, which I'm sure is the reason for the glitch; is there a better way to make the texture continue? Thanks in advance...

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if you know of a better way to work out that spot to the upper left part of the image where the texture loses it's continuity. The surface is a continuous surface, but the texture always jogs at the point on the fillet. I have a box projection UV map applied to it, which I'm sure is the reason for the glitch; is there a better way to make the texture continue? Thanks in advance...

unwrap UV -> Pelt mapping

Or model it. I would model it myself, it would look more solid.

here's an updated rendering. I fixed the seam that was going on at the top left, although I found unwrapping the uv's to be a pain, so I just manipulated the map while still using the box modifier... there's now a seam at the bottom of that structure, but it's hidden well enough that I'm not distracted by it. I have yet to model the interior of the shops; that's the next task. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the compliments. Here's an updated image; added many small details and lights. I've shown this image to a couple people and they seem to get confused; due to the darkness of the sky, people think this is a night time rendering. If you look at the shadow position you can see that the sun is very high in the sky. I've tried messing with the vray sun multiplier to get a lighter sky (the vraysky is the background / environment) but that just makes the image look oversaturated. Any ideas on how I can lighten up the background within the 3d software (not in post)? I'm using a vray physical cam, and I've played with the settings quite a bit, but that doesn't change the ration of dark sky : overexposure...