Need a MAYA user to do a Review

• Administrators

Jim Lammers over at Trinity Animation has offered a copy of the his new Maya 4.5 Fundamentals book if we review it. If you are adept at writting reviews, have a good working knowledge of Maya, please let me know and I'll set it up.

Jeff

[ January 20, 2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Mottle ]

where do u work Chris? what do you maya for?

I switched to 3dsmax - rather Viz, bc its more geared to architectural stuff being much more compatible with ACAD. I like maya for animation. it kicks butt!

I know maya , but I've never written a review before............ :(

Jeff... Yeah, I'd love to do it, email me at home or work with the details.

Cesar... I have switch careers and now work in the entertainment industry. I work for Digital Domain, a major visual effects company. Still "involved" in architecture, I now build digital cities for CG environments. I have a love/hate relationship with Maya... like most people.

We model all in Maya which is great for film, since accuracy is not very important. Makes modeling very fast... I can bang out major buildings in very little time, since it only needs to be as accurate as a pixel. Plus some imperfections in the model help sell the building as more real. Perfect walls look too CG. I want to start getting into Houdini do start doing parametric buildings... but I am getting off-topic...

Hi Chris, thanks for the info. Is there any difference despite the accuracy between modelling architecture in Maya compared to other programs ?

I'm a long time FormZ user and when i bought Lightwave two years ago i wanted to use it only for texturing and rendering, but than i dicovered some nice features in Lightwave's modeller and now i modell in both prog's, but still start in FormZ.

If you start talking about Houdini i start talking about Shade3D, although i have to find it anywhere on my backups ;)

All I have ever used is maya, actually even before maya it was Power Animator. I love it and it rocks, except for the renderer. It blows chunks!!!!! Maya just added Mental Ray as it's alternative renderer but the GI is horrible. I haven't been able to do anything with it. Lightscape is cool but porting my geometry from maya to lightscape is a bit of a pain. For architectural rendering I don't think maya is the best choice.

A tool is a tool is a tool... Personally I hate formZ. Maya is very different. The thing I like the most about it is the speed of the interface. I also miss the parametric parameters of 3D Studio... makes designing in it really nice. Now with MentalRay built into version 4.5... GI is available.

Houdini is hardcore. Few, if anyone, models in it. It is parametric to the n'th degree. It is NOT easy to just "pick up." They tell me that even with my math degree it would be hard... and that I would just pick up smoking again. They say: "Houdini is not like a Ferrari... it is like giving you the parts to build a Ferrari"