Is there a script-writing service?

braddewald

I need a fairly large script written for 3ds Max and don't really have the time to learn how to write scripts right now (as much as I would like to). I was wondering if there was any service, individual or company that writes MAXScript. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I really need help. I need the script to streamline creation of simple objects based on length, width and height parameters. So is there a script-writing service available out there?

Hi Bradley,

There are a number of members that know MaxScript very well.

Can I also suggest that you utilise the "MaxScript Listener" facility?

Open the Listener (under MaxScript option of main toolbar), CLEAR it of anything that might be in there, and then create one primitive at a time. Copy the MaxScript from the Listener window and put it on a button on a toolbar (I made a Toolbar named Joel and stick my mostly used scripts there).

So you could have a script for:

1m x 1m x 1m Cube

1m diameter Sphere

etc

Once you see the 'pattern' or style of the MaxScript you should be able to make your own simple modifications.

For a more detailed learning adventure, can I suggest CGAcademy? They have what I consider the best tutorial series on MaxScript. 5 DVDs - the first 4 covers the various operations and modifiers and what-not for MaxScript, then the last disc covers using all of the info learned in the previous discs to make some truly amazing scenes.

Captured from my MaxListener window:

Cube:

Box lengthsegs:1 widthsegs:1 heightsegs:1 length:27.9053 width:27.9053 height:27.9053 mapcoords:on realWorldMapSize:on pos:[-50.8812,58.2356,0] isSelected:on

I then highlighted the text in the MaxListener window and dragged it to an empty toolbar.

I now have a button to make 1m cubes.

:)

Thanks everybody for all of your help, I have received some great suggestions on people to use and I greatly appreciate it, hopefully something pans out. In the meantime if anybody has any other suggestions, please let me know. I also have been thinking that maybe I wasn't clear in my original posting. I was just being broad when I said creating "simple geometry." What I really need is a way to help me automate kitchen (mainly cabinet) creation using a custom script or plugin.

Thanks,

Brad