Should I Convert to sRGB When Sending Files Via PDF?

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

Color Management FAQ

3DATS 3ds Max 2010 Architectural Visualization - Advanced to Expert

The following question was submitted via email about our color management chapter:

QUESTION:

I work in Adobe RGB, but if the client in not working in color managed space, or does not know whether they are in color managed space, you suggest converting to the sRGB color space. Later in the chapter you suggest sending as a PDF. If I send the file a PDF should the file still be converted to sRGB?

ANSWER:

If you don't send your images via PDF, perhaps because the client needs the file to insert in a presentation etc., then you would convert to sRGB. You are correct however that if you do use PDF there is no need crop the color space unnecessarily by converting to a smaller color space.

If your client is going to be using the file for printing with a professional printer, I might suggest that you provide them a "print" version of the file and send the file in Adobe RGB. You could also send them an sRGB version for their own purposes such as presentations internally etc.

If you know the printer that your client will be using to print the brochures etc, you could ask to speak with the printer directly to ask how they like to receive the files. Some prefer that the file stay in working space like Adobe RGB, while others are ok if you convert the file into the print space using a press profile they provide you. The latter is sometimes the best option as it means you can soft proof in advance and made any necessary tweaks to the file yourself. If you send the file in Adobe RGB then you are leaving the conversion into the press color space up to the printer, which will usually not make any color corrections at all. Another good tip if you have a good ink jet printer is to print a file for your client to use as a press proof. That way the print shop will have an exact target to shoot for if they are not properly color managed, as some are not.