Lake House renovation 1st post

Gary Ledgerwood

Hello all. I have been perusing this forum for a few months now admiring all of the talent that posts here. I am fairly new to new visualizations but have been in the architectural field for 10 years. I would greatly appreciate tips for improvement. I currently model in Sketchup and then use Kerkythea for rendering. We are a small firm so spending money on things like Max and V-Ray isnt an option right now. For now I must make due with what we have...

So anyway. Thanks in advance for any comments or crits.

The grass and trees seem to be overscaled for the scene. The trees are too dark, need to play with the textures a bit there. The house isn't bad rendering wise, but having your sun/light source right over your shoulder isn't a very exciting light rig and makes the scene look flat, try moving it to the left of you 30-45 degrees from your POV at least to get some depth of light and shadow. IMHO Looking good so far considering the tools.

I kind of wonder why you don't stick to NPR (non-photorealistic) which SketchUp excels at rather than trying to compete with all the high quality professional photorealistic work out there. Clients are pretty sophisticated these days and I would think it could be held against you/firm if the renderings you show them aren't at the level that people are use to seeing these days. While NPR work produced by SU is basically automatically decent NPR.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that you are advancing your skill set and the services that the firm offers and what you are doing is looking pretty good so far.