Exterior House

reptar

Roof tiles looking better now - good job.

The steps up to the front door - I can't tell what kind of material is on there.

I'm out of ideas - I think it looks clean and simple.

I always think of entourage for scenes - garden gnomes, potted plants, t.v. antenna, bird poop on the roof tiles, Geelong Footy Club stickers in the various windows, etc.

I'm glad there isn't a car in the shot - it would distract from the house at this angle.

Not sure about the drain pipe near the door. It is on the plan there?

I'd consider moving it to the other end of the house (to the left).

I think ya did good.

Thanks! Don't know about the Geelong stickers, although they are looking good with the weather conditions forcasted tomorrow.

Just wondering, can you recommend and sites which provide such props as gnomes etc? I guess there isn't much in the 'free' basket there...

I'll look at an arch & design shader for the porch steps.

Cheers, this forum rocks!

Nice simple render.

Maybe reduce the rake projection so the roof dies into the side of the chimney. Or just pull the chimney out more. Also, stop the gutter at the end of the overhang fascia. I have never seen a gutter return on the rake edge. You can also see the cut out line on the left gutter. Just a little photoshop work to blend that in.

Other than those things, looking good to me!

Thanks for your comments. Please see updated image. I had to leave the guttering as this is in the plans.

Any more comments most welcome.

I have used Photographic exposure control. Is there a rule for using either Logarithmic or Photographic for interior and exterior designs?

Thanks!

Edited by reptar

I'd pull the chimney out by another 3 5/8" because it looks weird exactly aligned to roof fascia.

Agreed. I would actually move the chimney out. Dont add 3 5/8" to the total depth. It is already looking a little too deep.

Reference images...

http://www.samuellfarm.com/img/cottage%20today/chimney%20detail.jpg

http://schist.ulysses.co.nz/assets/galleries/Chimney-Stacks/019OtagoSchistLiteGreyChimneyStack12.jpg

http://www.alpine-inspections.com/client-resources/common-issues/chimney.jpg

Hey everyone,

I've turned the gamma down since last postings. Also, ive added a little more detail to the grass edges.

The chmney has been moved out a fraction.

Please let me know what you think regarding additional touch ups etc.

Thanks again.

I loaded the first render and the last one into Ram Player and compared them.

* The chimney is taller as well as thicker/deeper. I think it looks better with it extruding out from the house. I flipped through my ref photos of house exteriors and I didn't find one with a chimney intersecting the actual arch - the apex of the A-Frame. Not sure if I've just never seen one or if it would affect the structural stability of the design. I have seen chimneys with the stack offset from the centre line tho.

* I like the slightly darker exposure settings. I mentioned the slightly overexposed in an earlier post and I like it better now. :)

* The steps are a lighter colour now, but still can't tell what they are made of. Concrete? I'd consider making them with a recognisable pattern - wood or concrete blocks or timbre sleepers, etc.

* The grass and the brick driveway seems to pop up more - did you add/increase the displacement or bump map?

* How did you do your grass?

-Joel

Are you using Real World Units on the steps? If not, slap a UVW Map modifier on the steps, select Box, then be sure to use Real World Units on the matieral. I'm pretty sure the A&D shaders come with that as default. If the Real World Units end up being something like 1mm, then bump the size up to something more realistic. I try to always use actual size of objects and not just play with the Tiling value (although it's tempting sometimes!). So if a brick is about 8 2/3" long, I count how many bricks are in my material sample and do the maths.

Thanks for the link to the grass tutorial.

It's looking really good - keep sending out WIPs!

-Joel

* The chimney is taller as well as thicker/deeper. I think it looks better with it extruding out from the house. I flipped through my ref photos of house exteriors and I didn't find one with a chimney intersecting the actual arch - the apex of the A-Frame. Not sure if I've just never seen one or if it would affect the structural stability of the design. I have seen chimneys with the stack offset from the centre line tho.

Here are some examples of chimney centered on the gable...

Reference images...

http://www.samuellfarm.com/img/cotta...y%20detail.jpg

http://schist.ulysses.co.nz/assets/g...neyStack12.jpg

http://www.alpine-inspections.com/cl...es/chimney.jpg

Thanks for the references pics of the houses.

Please find attached an updated version of my exterior house for comments. I reduced the sizing of the UVW Map and RGB Output colour to enhance the colour and wood grains on the patio planks. Still looks a little washed out though :(

I found some sprouts of grass quite useful to give the grass some height around the back edges. Another good trick i just tought myself is to place a slight drop shadow effect within photoshop to give the sprouts shadows and realism under the sunshine. You dont have to give it much, just a little. You might want to play with the noise slider also.

Cheers.