Living room

pixel8

Hi all

This is my first post though I've been reading the forums for a long time.

Attached are 2 images I've been working on with 3ds Max and Vray. I still need to fill the room more with some magazines, floor rug, wall paintings, etc.

Is there anything else I can do to improve the images?

Thanks

Paul

Hi folks. Thanks for the replies - hadn't thought of that. But yes the room and furniture are the correct scale. It's my living room so I took detailed measurements. The couch, tv and tv unit are pretty big. I'll check the camera settings...maybe that's giving a distorted view. I've used a physical camera - will post my settings tonight.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Have you measured the floor-to-ceiling height?

turn on snaps, select measure, press S to turn on snaps (assuming snaps are set to verts), then measure the corner floor to corner ceiling and see the height in listener.

Sorry, it just really looks like not a whole lot of height there

Hey SandmanNinja

I checked the ceiling height - definitely 2500mm - see the attached image LivingRoom_Front.png. (note grid size is 250mm).

The only other thing I could think of was the camera settings may be distorting things so I attached the settings - see image LivingRoom_Camera.png

I might also try re-orienting the camera to get a different view and see if that makes any difference. Currently it's set to be 1650mm off the ground.

Any other comments on the lighting, texturing, etc. The scene took about 70 mins to render. Is that high?

Regards

Paul

I'm sure everyone is going to just laugh at me, but the scale doesn't look all that off to me. I'm assuming that the door in question is the one on the left of the glass to the outside, and it kind of just looks like two horizontal mullions going across the door, not the actual top of the door being three fourths of the way up the glass.....unless I'm just understanding this incorrectly......

Hey kawzy13

Bingo - I think you might be on to something there. That element is actually all window. The window is divided up into one big pane on the right and 3 small panes on the left. The horizontal elements are the timber frames. As it's the living room of the house I live in I've been very faithful to the actual design / measurements. I'll look at removing those elements so it's not throwing off peoples perception of scale.

Thanks for your response

Paul

Hey remKa

Not sure why it looks jaggy to you. I've used the Catmull-Rom filter and the Adaptive DMC settings - see attached images. I've also attached images showing my other settings if anyone has any comment as to better settings to try.

Thanks

Paul

Weird, your settings are good, maybe the pics you have posted are compressed in .jpg so it's losing quality big time, try .bmp.

See also the subdivisions in your light settings, if you used vray lights, select them in the viewport click on vray properties, then increase the diffuse subdivisions (1500-2000). Increase also the subdivisons of the glossy reflections of your materials.

I showed your pic to some friends in order to check if my eyes were still OK :D, they found ur pics verry blurry too

Did you use DOF ?

It looks really better! You should try to add some vray light inside your room, like if the lightning was made for a presentation in a magazine. With the natural lightning, the pic will look flat and dull, even in real life with a camera.

Work on adding imperfections. Take some shine off the floor and add some subtle track/ scuff marks. Try using the subdivide and noise modifiers especially on the couch cushions to add some imperfections into the modelling itself.

Add some custom bitmap textures as well and try using a blend material to add imperfections over the top. Or use vray dirt to put dirt in the corners. Add specular channels to control/ increase how light falls upon surfaces and you'll see your scene lift.

Check out some studio lighting as well, and use some subtle, different colours to add a bit of tonal range across your surfaces even if it's not realistic.

Nice one! Good luck!