Brand new system crashing using 3dsmax

Abbz 47

Hi Guys (and ladies)

well this is my first (I guess of many) cry for help!

I'm a student in his fledgling weeks of 3ds max, I have a new system (6gigs ddr3 ram,intel core i7cpu, gtx295 graphics card with 500g hard drive) running vista 64 bit(thanks mom&dad)and I have the student version of 3ds max 2010.My problem being it keeps crashing on me,I was asured that the gtx295 card would handle the job, could anybody shed some light.

Help me OBI ONE KINOBI your my only hope!

Andy:confused:

I have almost exactly the same config, but the thing works like a charm (except when I have bunch of instances of vray proxys, but that's another thing)...

I suggest you update your video card drivers , if that doesnt work try changing from openGL, to direct3d, or vice versa...

also you should in either case check out autodesk for latest hotfixes and service pack.

that's the first things to do.

if that doesnt work, I suggest reinstalling max.

1) try copy/pasting the error it gives you when it crashes.

3) any specific task that causes it to crash?

Edited by LuckyST

Hi Luckyst,

thanx for the response, its great to know that there are people willing to help.

It doesn't seem to be anything specific and as I'm very new to the software (first week) I'm not asking it to do anything thats going to tax the pc.

I will follow your advice on the matter and see what happens

many thanks dude

Andy

Have you installed the service pack?

When was the last time you reset your models Xforms? Resetting your Xforms occasionally is a good habit to get into and will help prevent most of the crashing that would otherwise occur.

But be aware that despite any and all preventative measures, 3DS Max will still crash every once in a while. Sometimes I'll be working away and then all of a sudden, 'Poof', the program closes without any warning. This is why it's extremely important to save often and save iterations of your model as you progress so that you can go back to a previously saved state in case your current file becomes corrupted. And yes, Max files do become corrupted sometimes.

If the service pack doesn't help and resetting your Xforms doesn't help, try to document what you're doing when it crashes so we will have more information to work with.

Hi Cad64,

thanks for helping out, I do appreciate it. No I havn't updated the service pack from Auto desk I just sort of guessed when I got the software earlier this week that it would be up to date, but I guess its wrong to asume anything in this day and age eh?

I will do as suggested and also make a log of what I'm up to.

Again many thanks

Andy