Fuzzy texture problem

Fred Wasson

Hi guys,

I’m very new to the 3d game and I’m looking for some advice. I’m trying to do some basic renderings for a builder and would appreciate if some one could help me with a question. My siding and roof textures are rendering fuzzy or blurry on the surfaces that are at a grater angle to the camera. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Are you using a bump map? Bump maps at angles dont work too well.

2 solutions:

1: Use displacement

2: Model the siding.

I would go with 2. For that building it should take around 20 minutes. Roof tiles may take a little longer to make, but will be well worth the effort.

Then it may be your smoothing groups:

1: Select the wall object

2: go to sub-object (3) and select all polygons (ctl-a)

3: scroll down the modify panel to 'smoothing groups'

4: click 'clear all'

5: cross fingers

6: hit render

Edit: it may be in reverse, ie, the box has better smoothing. Do the above for both the box and the walls/roof. If the texture disintigrates on the box then the sg need to be applied to the wall, not removed.

Edited by Tommy L

As Beeste said, it's that blur value - but beware! The reason it is set at 1.0 by default is because otherwise you will almost definitely get terrrible moire or other flickering patterns if rendered as an animation, as 600px of textures gets hammered down to about 20px in the render as the angle becomes more and more accute!

maps = getClassInstances bitmaptexture 

[color=#b1b100]for[/color] m in maps [color=#b1b100]do[/color] [color=#66cc66]([/color]
   m.coords.blur = [color=#cc66cc]1.00[/color] [color=#3cb878][i]--set this value to whatever you want[/i][/color]
[color=#66cc66])[/color]

credit to the original author.. but can't remember where i got this from.

Edited by mattclinch