[Is there anyway to] Improve viewport performance max design 2010

nudawa

My computer is not bad

- Intel Core2Quad Q6400 2.4Ghz

- 4gb Ram

- nVidia 9800GTX+

But as my scenes growing with more polygons (for example, 1 milion polygons), looking around the viewport is extremely lagging. Is there anyway to improve this without switching to bounding box ? I've tried to switch to OpenGL but nothing got better.

Maxtreme driver is just for Quadro cards, no?

Diabling viewcubes and steering wheels etc will probably help and adaptive degradation can be a lifesaver, but mainly keeping objects on layers, and controlling layer visability should mean you never have to grind to a halt in the viewport even with 20 mil + poly models.

yeah but Nvidia stopped updating the Maxtreme driver, 3ds max 2009 is the last supported version, there is none available (nor apparently will there ever be) for 2010.... sucks... Supposedly the standard drivers have the Maxtreme capabilities built in. However I can tell you that going from 2009 to 2010 I've seen a noticable drop in viewport performance...

try attaching or collapsing similar objects, export as proxies while wisely choosing single or multiple export modes, and maybe adjusting the nth refresh rates of your viewports, you can also disable your materials in viewport or enable them from diffuse channel only.

hope that helps :)