living room interior

guiltybydesign

Hi

What render engine are you using? What version of 3ds max are you using?

Here are some comments, assuming you're using Mental ray:

re: your ceiling - I'd get more light into the room from the windows by using mrSkyPortals.

That way, the light is coming from the window and not the missing ceiling.

I prefer to use Global Illumination (photons) for interiors, and the key to good lighting of interiors is to bounce light. Light comes in through a window, hits the floor or ceiling, and stops with just 0 or 1 bounce. You want to bounce light all around the room - get it into nooks and crannies.

Here are some general comments:

* the floor tiles look too big

* I'd never put the teapot primitive into a scene

* looks like a texture/geometry problem with the chair in the top render

* curtains look like they're floating in air - no visible means of support

* consider putting a view out the window

* consider secondary lighting - I don't see any lamps or ceiling lights in the scene turned on

The above was meant as constructive - make some changes and re-post. :)

yeah about the general comments-I have those things in mind

Im using default scanline in 3ds max 2009

I tried with daylight system(mr sun and mrsky in MR but didnt find the result realistic)..currently Im using skylight and target area and omni in the centre of the room..

-how to make the shadows from the Target Area look sharper not only in the beginning but in the whole room..currently Im using Shadow Map type of shadows..and about that what does the sample range and bias settings change..

-I wanted the tiles on the floor to be big..

-If using MR what type of light should I use and what settings for the GI..I am sometimes using MR with skylight and FG..

-what should my artificial lights be (mr omni, omni...?!?)

mrSun and mrPhysical Sky can produce some very realistic lighting results.

You need to do some Mental Ray lighting tutorials.

Sometimes you have to just sit down and work through them.

I always take notes, mainly so I can refer back to them from time to time.

http://www.mentalboutmax.com has some great basic mental ray lighting tutorials.

3ds comes with some very good lighting tutorials. There are even a few targeted towards Arch Viz - a house with a pool in the back yard, if I remember correctly.

Those answers are far too numerous and detailed to answer in a post.

At least for me.

Those tutorials are great - Bri emails links almost immediately and 3ds has the tutes on the disc.

If you do only the tutes that ship with 3ds, almost all of your questions will be answered. Seriously, the amount of time since your first post here, you could have done all of the tutes and be well on your way.

thats a new quick scene Ive made, a material and FG/GI study...

Im not happy with the carpet, I used the hair/fur modifier for the first time..I kinda figured the settings out, but this one rendered less smoother than I expected...Also I will reduce the bump on the floor and increase the reflection to give it a more marblish look, instead of concrete-looking-floor..

I also dont like those black spots on the walls and on the front of the couch, despite the high FG/GI settings...I`ll post some updates..

p.s. recommended GI settings for interiors?

p.p.s. how to turn SuperSampling in MR on? (when using scanline I turn Adoptive Halton from the RENDER tab but when using MR there are no such options on that very spot)